The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mounting Acoustic Foam to Ceiling
Old 26th February 2013
Here for the gear

Mounting Acoustic Foam to Ceiling

So I have some rather large 6x4 2-inch sheets of egg carton foam. My trouble is that I want to mount them on my ceiling, but the ceiling was finished in that bumpy drywall style making things like spray adhesive very difficult to accomplish.

Any suggestions?

I managed to get one sheet over my actual recording area with some effort a while ago using a spray called "Mean green." It's good stuff, but since I used it to mount the other panels along the walls as well, I'm running low and wondering if there is a better solution before replacing it.
Old 26th February 2013
Lives for gear
You can find a variety of spray ahdesives at hardware stores, such as those by 3-M and Scotch. I've used caulk-gun applied adhesives for foam that is made by Liquid Nails that is really tenacious. However, you won't find many around here that recommend foam for acoustic treatment (other than for a VPR or other specialized apps), especially if the room needs low frequency absorption.
Old 26th February 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks for the advice! I do have some 2x4 fiber panels on the walls, but I basically used the foam to fill some of the gaps. The Ceiling Is pretty low as it is (about 7.5-8 feet high), and the studio is Primarily just for voice overs so low end frequencies are kinda minimal. I'll try messing around with some 3M products as those are readily available most places in Canada
Old 26th February 2013
Gear Guru

You could try some nails with a wide head? Have you contacted the people you bought the stuff from to get there recommendation? I am sure they have a customer support team that would help, no?
Old 26th February 2013
Gear Maniac
Don't use the foam if is not fire proof. Test a piece if need be.
Old 26th February 2013
Gear Nut

An alternative to spray adhesive for mounting foam is using a set of T-Pins, basically what Glenn was referring to with the wide-head nails. These feature an extended head to hold material but are thin enough that they won’t poke a hole so large that it leads to the foam tearing over time.

Using T-Pins for mounting is conditional on a few things though, for example:
- It being safe to push pins through the ceiling
- Being allowed to mount with this technique (renting?)/willing to patch pinholes
- The ceiling is able to “hold” the pins well enough to support the foam without pulling out, etc.

If you don’t have any worries about using them, getting some 2” or 3” T-Pins and spacing them out in a grid about a foot apart throughout the body of the foam should be able to hold the foam.

Popcorn and textured ceilings are usually tough to mount foam to with adhesive for the obvious reason of texture, but also because that texture makes it difficult to clean dust and dirt beforehand, reducing the adhesive’s ability to bond. If it’s working for you though, and you’d rather not pin the foam to the ceiling, there are a few adhesive options out there that are designed to work particularly well with open-cell foam. I’ve mentioned this in a couple posts lately, but it’s important to make sure the adhesive you get is designed to work with the foam you’re using, e.g.: there are some adhesives that are great for bonding closed-cell foam, but won’t work as well on open-cell. Lastly, you may have already mounted your first section this way, but for a “permanent” hold, apply the adhesive to both the foam sheet and the ceiling after cleaning and drying it.
Old 26th February 2013
Lives for gear

I use Bison Montagekit or Bison PolyMax

also if you glue foam to thin plywood and use standard screws.... is also possible way....

hope this helps....

Old 26th February 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks for the tips! Those T-pins look like they may work well in conjunction with adhesive so I may go that route. My only concern would be the actual pin visibility, but it's nothing too major
Old 26th February 2013
Gear Nut

You could always shoot the pins with a quick coat of spray paint before using them! heh
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

Velcro. For popcorn ceiling, use Blutack or similar product.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear