The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Stone room/Wood room/Dead room ALL in one room
Old 27th January 2013
  #1
Gear Nut
 

Stone room/Wood room/Dead room ALL in one room

Hi GS!
It would be nice to have large studio with :
- big live room
- stone room
- vocal (dead) booth
- stings room / wood room
- etc.

Few reasons why not to do it (even if it's possible) :
- big investment - very slow investment return (if ever...)
- higher studio hour price - narrower range of potential customers (risky)
- modern overdubbing based recording - you don't need all that different rooms at same time (most of the time)
- higher cost - maintenance, electrical bills, wiring
..etc.

Still I want to have option to vary my future studio acoustic as much as possible and come close to having those multiple rooms as much as possible.
I'm familiar with room with standard variable acoustic of course.
Those rooms usually have control of adding/reducing amount of absorptive surfaces which lead to longer/shorter room reverberation time (live-to-dead).
That rotating triangular panels don't solve problem although it seams the best solution in varying sound.

Q:
1) Is it possible to have few really different kind of "special" acoustics characteristics all in one larger room ?

2) Is there some variable acoustics studio "on steroids" where sound could be changed in extreme amount? link...

E.g. (few ideas)
- different room acoustic areas in larger room that can be divided from rest of the room creating smaller stone/wood/dead room (dividers should be treated in accordance with targeting "special" acoustics)
- using lot if room dividers/panels (with different faces) for most flexibility
- lot of variable acoustic wall panels, movable carpets, heavy curtains etc.


Thanks for any info.
Old 28th January 2013
  #2
Old 28th January 2013
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Sir Chris's Avatar
 

Jesus, I've spent time in Avatar studios in NY and this studio looks to be more versatile!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
Old 28th January 2013
  #4
Funnily enough Avatar was one of the studios we had in mind when we came up with the concept for the place about 5 years ago!
Old 28th January 2013
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Rod Gervais's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Funnily enough Avatar was one of the studios we had in mind when we came up with the concept for the place about 5 years ago!
The "A" room at Avatar (and of course Power Station NE) is acoustically amazing - and opened up can accommodate a pretty large orchestra.

Circle Studios is also magnificent - I would expect no less from a Northward Acoustics design.

Rod
Old 28th January 2013
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Sir Chris's Avatar
 

I"ll never forget the first time I attended a drum session at Avatar.

I nearly shat myself and knew right then and there that getting drum sounds like that at a typical home studio is impossible and in my mind, not even worth the effort lol.

I must have estimated about $20k in mics around the drum kit alone.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
Old 28th January 2013
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Rod Gervais's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Chris View Post
I"ll never forget the first time I attended a drum session at Avatar.

I nearly shat myself and knew right then and there that getting drum sounds like that at a typical home studio is impossible and in my mind, not even worth the effort lol.

I must have estimated about $20k in mics around the drum kit alone.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
Yeah - it really is a pretty impressive space - and having a crap load of great mics to use in the rooms there is certainly a plus.

I haven't been there in years - do you have any idea what mic they have hanging from the coffin in the main room now? Or don't they bother with that any more?

Rod
Old 29th January 2013
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Sir Chris's Avatar
 

I didn't notice anything like that. There are various producers and engineers working out of there at any given time. So either it wasn't set up or I didn't notice.

All I know is I couldnt get over the amount of mics around the kit, going into vintage outboard gear and into the custom Neeve board...**** my life lol.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
Old 29th January 2013
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Rod Gervais's Avatar
 

In the NY studio - when you walk in - look up at the coffin - right about dead center there is a hole, and passing through that hole is (was) the end of a mic cable. Back when Tony owned the studio during one of my visits I focused on it - and then went up over the top to take a look.

The mic cable was coupled with a lightweight steel cable (may have been stainless steel) that was attached to a hand winch. The mic cable was tied back to the control room and they could hang a mic off that set up - use the winch to raise it in the room until they got the sound they wanted.

The room is relatively dead at floor level - however the higher in the room you get the more lively it becomes.

If the mic is up in the coffin it's like recording in a lively nightclub.

Tony wanted the ability to record that sort of changing effect in the room - so he had this in mind when he designed it.

Rod
Old 30th January 2013
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Sir Chris's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Gervais View Post
In the NY studio - when you walk in - look up at the coffin - right about dead center there is a hole, and passing through that hole is (was) the end of a mic cable. Back when Tony owned the studio during one of my visits I focused on it - and then went up over the top to take a look.

The mic cable was coupled with a lightweight steel cable (may have been stainless steel) that was attached to a hand winch. The mic cable was tied back to the control room and they could hang a mic off that set up - use the winch to raise it in the room until they got the sound they wanted.

The room is relatively dead at floor level - however the higher in the room you get the more lively it becomes.

If the mic is up in the coffin it's like recording in a lively nightclub.

Tony wanted the ability to record that sort of changing effect in the room - so he had this in mind when he designed it.

Rod
Ok that is the most awesone thing ive heard lol. I never noticed this. Are talking about right when you walk in, where the receptionist is?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
Old 30th January 2013
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Rod Gervais's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Chris View Post
Ok that is the most awesone thing ive heard lol. I never noticed this. Are talking about right when you walk in, where the receptionist is?
No - I am talking about inside of Studio "A"

In the ceiling of the main room you have the "coffin" -which is where the mic cable entered the room. If it's still hooked up you will see it - if not you will see the hole it used to run through.

I have no idea whether Avatar kept it or not after they bought the place - when I made my last visit it was still Power Station.

Rod
Old 30th January 2013
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Sir Chris's Avatar
 

Gotta say I never really looked straight up. Usually everyime I was there, there was a session already going so I wouldn't walk into the live room. I wanna check next time.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump