Holiday shop via this link to support the forum!
Can I put superchunks in the room behind my corner?
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Can I put superchunks in the room behind my corner?

I have a new project studio room to treat and I'm a bit stuck trying to figure out how to make the best use of my existing OC705.
  • Old studio: superchunks in the corners
  • New studio corners are 50% as deep as old studio (see pic #1)
  • There is a small control-type room behind my studio
  • The wall is 4" deep drywall/pine board construction with no insulation (that last part is a guess actually but is based on other parts of the house)
My superchunks for my last studio were created by just taking a 2'x4' panel of OC705 and carving eight triangles/wedges. You can see from pic #1 that I took some of those superchunks and carved them down (made them shallower) so they would fit my wall profile.

I then realized, "Hey, wait a minute - maybe I'm screwing up by carving these superchunks up. Maybe I should just keep the original triangle superchunks in a box and then store that box in the corner of room behind my studio. The low frequency probably is passing through that 4 inches of drywall anyway so I might be okay doing that rather than throwing away so much of the OC705 that I'm carving off."

What do you think: am I better off carving out 50% of my superchunk material and placing it in the room or putting it as-is in the box in the room behind the studio? Or maybe there is another option I'm not aware of? I'd appreciate any and all thoughts/feedback.

Pic #1 - the carved-out superchunks (a.k.a. "Before I thought to ask this question")

Pic #2 - the box of not-yet-carved superchunks:

Pic #3 - the corner of the room directly behind/opposite the studio corner:
Old 1st January 2013
Lives for gear

I spent some time yesterday measuring this w/ REW. The differences were marginally in favor of leaving the OC705 in the actual room rather than putting it in the back room. And when I say "marginally", I mean that there were 3-4 places where it offered 1 or 2db difference and the rest were pretty close to identical. I'll keep it in the room.
Old 1st January 2013
Gear Guru

Yes, drywall reflects low frequencies more than it passes.

Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search