Pegboard - Gearslutz Pro Audio Community
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Pegboard

You see pegboard all the time in old studio shots. On the walls and on moving baffles. Is that what people used to cover up fiberglass back then? Is that a safe and effective method?
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Safe … Yes, assuming there´s a fabric behind the board stopping particles from the wool escaping.

Effective … Well, depends on what the purpose is but assuming to limit the frequency range of absorption to the lower part of the spectrum; yes, depending on the thickness and perforation percentage of the board.
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

With the thickness and size of the holes in pegboard, the surface becomes a midrange absorber. Not of practical use in studio acoustics.

Andre
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

I put it to use. I needed a way to hang stuff and I was already going to build a frame for it so why not stuff it with the good old mineral wool. They seem to be all the rage because VKLA has them all over the place.

Old 21st April 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermanV View Post
I put it to use. I needed a way to hang stuff and I was already going to build a frame for it so why not stuff it with the good old mineral wool. They seem to be all the rage because VKLA has them all over the place.

I am going to add a pegboard to my home studio to keep things organized, I want to do similar (i.e. stuff it with mineral wool). Is there any particular way one must build a frame or stuffed with the wool? Did you do the whole project from Home Depot? All info and tips are greatly appreciated!
Old 21st April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apricotkilla View Post
I want to do similar (i.e. stuff it with mineral wool). Is there any particular way one must build a frame or stuffed with the wool?
Read post #3 .

Andre
Old 21st April 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by apricotkilla View Post
I want to do similar (i.e. stuff it with mineral wool). Is there any particular way one must build a frame or stuffed with the wool?
Read post #3 .

Andre
With all due respect why not try and be helpful rather than just repeat an unexplained answer? How is mid range absorption of no practical use use in a studio? You're saying no studio has ever had a mid freq spike that could have been treated with this method? In his second post he stated he is looking to do this do this for storage purposes as well. If this is something he is going to build regardless of your opinion on its advantages for acoustics why not input on that matter rather than shut his idea down with no alternative for his storage issue. Would it not be wise to still fill the cavity with wool? Could it cause resonance issues if not stuffed? Could it cause negative absorption if it IS filled? Are storage bins on the floor a better idea? What about a shelf with a hinged absorber in front of it instead?

Sorry if my post is coming off a bit aggressive that is not my intent. However it comes off quite rude when you ignore the other elements of his post and only address the portion of the thread in which you can tell him his idea is 'bad', not once but twice.

Simply put the key to constructive criticism is that it's constructive.
Old 21st April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajax57 View Post
With all due respect why not try and be helpful rather than just repeat an unexplained answer? How is mid range absorption of no practical use in a studio? You're saying no studio has ever had a mid freq spike that could have been treated with this method?
Thank you for your rather long response. The crux is in the bolded by part of the quoted text. What frequency is of concern? It is highly unlikely that identified problem frequencies are in the range that pegboard based absorbers absorb at. That is basis of my summary response. An answer to my first question will allow answers useful to the OP and by extension to readers of the thread.

Quote:
However it comes off quite rude when you ignore the other elements of his post and only address the portion of the thread in which you can tell him his idea is 'bad', not once but twice.
Where did I reply twice to the OP? My first post in this thread quoted the OP. The second reply quoted Apricotkilla.

Andre
Old 21st April 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Thank you for your rather long response. The crux is in the bolded by part of the quoted text. What frequency is of concern? It is highly unlikely that identified problem frequencies are in the range that pegboard based absorbers absorb at. That is basis of my summary response. An answer to my first question will allow answers useful to the OP and by extension to readers of the thread.

Where did I reply twice to the OP? My first post in this thread quoted the OP. The second reply quoted Apricotkilla.

Andre
actually the crux would be this "Simply put the key to constructive criticism is that it's constructive." He is asking for help and all you did was tell him his idea was bad with no explanation. Can you see how you could have provided him with an answer more similar to what you gave me? It explains your opinion and he learns something from it.

My mistake though I now see the second response is directed to another poster however it does not change the principal of the matter. I assume apricotkilla could clearly see your opinion as it's post #3 yet still had questions. Thus i don't see how referring to an uninformative post is in any way helpful.
Old 21st April 2016
Gear Guru

Whoa

There seems to be a lot of theory at play here, but perhaps not enough or not the right theory.
If I remember correctly hardboard, i.e. pegboard without the holes was used by the BBC as the membrane in their best performing modular LF absorber. Presumably they tried other materials and chose this one, which is also cheap.
The percentage of holes in pegboard suggests to me that it would perform little different from whole hardboard. In this real world situation, pegboard has greatly increased LF absorption between 70 and 300Hz.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/8992852-post91.html

DD
Old 22nd April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
In this real world situation, pegboard has greatly increased LF absorption between 70 and 300Hz.
This thread is about mounting pegboard to use as, well, pegboard. The depth of the total assembly would be around 2" maximum. The post that you linked, and specifically pegboard application is shown in post #90 . The pegboard is used as a cover for what we would normally describe as corner traps, or by misguided people as bass traps. Not appropriate to the application being discussed in this thread.

Andre

Last edited by avare; 22nd April 2016 at 06:40 PM..
Old 22nd April 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
There seems to be a lot of theory at play here, but perhaps not enough or not the right theory.
If I remember correctly hardboard, i.e. pegboard without the holes was used by the BBC as the membrane in their best performing modular LF absorber. Presumably they tried other materials and chose this one, which is also cheap.
The percentage of holes in pegboard suggests to me that it would perform little different from whole hardboard. In this real world situation, pegboard has greatly increased LF absorption between 70 and 300Hz.

DD
Was the trap you talking about pressure based? If so then it would not act the same if holes are in it, as it would then not be sealed.
Old 24th April 2016
Gear Guru

Generic

Hi Andre, I was referring to the Original Poster in this thread. I took their question to be general curiosity about the use of pegboard, a lot of which can be seen in old studios. Rereading, I am still seeing the same question.
You seem to be referring to the second post in terms of shallowness?

Quote:
Was the trap you talking about pressure based? If so then it would not act the same if holes are in it, as it would then not be sealed.
From memory Glenn they were Soffit type Traps. Big and actually in the corners where actual soffits often live.
The reason I refer to that test by Jeff, is the quite interesting increase in LF absorption.
I don't know if the pegboard was touching the interior damping insulation or not.
I understand what you are saying re the holes, indeed it is the surprise and contradiction here which caught my interest. Pegboard does seem to have some interesting behaviours which go against instinct and theory. But again, of course it does, e.g. the BBC chose it for their best LF absorber, and many many studios have used it for decades.

DD
Old 25th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa View Post
You see pegboard all the time in old studio shots. On the walls and on moving baffles. Is that what people used to cover up fiberglass back then? Is that a safe and effective method?
In older studios it was common to use acoustic panels that were made of horse hair or straw bonded to a perforated cellulose covering. The cellulose looks like crushed paper bonded into boards. The covering has been pressboard. The most common Celotex was so dominant in the field that one point the panels were known as Celotex panels.

This could be what you are describing as pegboard in old studios.

Andre

Last edited by avare; 25th April 2016 at 04:04 PM..
Old 25th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
In older studios it was common to use acoustic panels that were made of horse hair or straw bonded to a perforated cellulose covering. The cellulose looks like crushed paper bonded into boards. This could be what you are describing as pegboard in old studios.

Andre
I remember that stuff!

The first radio station I ever worked at was built in the early 50s, and still had 12-inch "tiles" of the stuff on the walls:
Pegboard-tiles.jpg
It stayed there 'till sometime in the mid-90s, when Cumulus bought the station and re-modeled the place.

...Strangely enough, I was working as a set dresser on a TV production at the time, and we rented a bunch of old gear from that station for a (radio station) set we were building.

When they went to go look at the gear, the Art Director and Lead Set Dresser saw them ripping the stuff off the walls, and sent their own guys in to carefully remove it all to use on the set.

So after 40 years, it was finally "immortalized on film", and then sent to its final resting place at the landfill.

...Pretty good run, really.

Last edited by 12ax7; 25th April 2016 at 05:10 PM..
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search