The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Garage studio w/ Theater Curtain
Old 30th November 2012
Garage studio w/ Theater Curtain

So, I have a 2 car garage with a cement floor and floor heat. It's extremely quiet, no air vents, and the floor heat circulator is in another part of the home. The ceilings are 12 ft. high and I was wondering how it might work to use this garage as a studio - the only drawback, I can only use 1 of the ports. Would a theater curtain be a good investment to seperate the two halves of the space for recording - or should I build a full wall between the two garage ports. How would you guys set it up? It's a big open space with two garage doors.
Old 30th November 2012
Lives for gear

You can use any space as a studio. The question is how much you are willing/able to do to improve the space. Hanging a curtain may improve things somewhat - probably visually more than sonically.

My recording space is a bit less than half of my 2-car garage. It's not specuatular, but I make do the best I can with what I have. Ideally, I'd like to build a seperate room within the garage (not touching any of the existing garage walls or roof framing), but the current structure configuration is limiting my options without going into a lot more expense to modify the existing roof framing.

Here's what I'm working with now...

The acoustic panels the to the left and behind the desk are movable, and are used in different configurations as needed during recording. The panel to the left also separates the recording space from the non-studio part of the garage.

Here's a couple more shots of my space...

My guitar player, Alex, recording during a recent session (this is looking from the desk to the back of the space)...
Old 30th November 2012
That's awesome!!! Ate those panels pretty effective at seperating the sound and were they guard to make?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
Old 30th November 2012
Lives for gear

The panels are absorptive for controlling sound reflections (a very different issue than sound-proofing). If acoustic treatment and studio setup is a new area for you, I suggest spending a LOT of time educating yourself on the issues involved before you start down the road. Educating yourself will help you get the most out of what you have and make wise decisions about how to proceed with improving your space.

DIY acoustic treatment isn't hard if you're a handy type of person. Again, educating yourself on the proper materials and methods is critical.
Old 16th July 2016
Here for the gear

Hey Eric,

I'm constructing a similar space, how did you go with having the garage door behind your mixing position? Any vibrations/resonance in the door?

Thanks!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search