The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Room measuring with ECM8000
Old 17th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mctwins View Post
If Behringer says ruler flat from 15-20K then I trust them.
Right............. this would be because we all know manufacturers would never Ever lie about their products....

So Wonder Bread really does build strong bodies 12 ways?

And Sketches is obviously paying 40 million dollars even though their muscle toning sneakers really do work?

This is coming from someone who claims that manufacturers who provide room treatments (other than what he touts as being God's gift to the acoustic community) lie about the effectiveness of their products.

Quote:
One can always debate if this is right or wrong.
Umm..... there is nothing to debate - your claim that it's true not withstanding (this obviously because Behringer has a reputation in the industry for being absolutely ethical and all that) - the fact of the matter is that you were provided (in this very thread) with test results proving otherwise - your choice to ignore that report doesn't make it false, just as your belief in their published numbers doesn't make them true.

Quote:
Not everybody can buy a expensive mic, but this mic is a good starting point.
And not a single expert here ever said it wasn't a good choice for someone who is not going to do this work for a living - but it is you who claimed it's excellence - and that it is not........... if it really was as good a mic as you believe we would all be flocking to buy a bunch of them.

Why would we bother spending hundreds - even thousands of dollars on testing mics when we could have this fantastic mic for just 50 bucks?

Quote:
People don't even have the money to buy treatments and still want's a perfect room acoustics.
And what does that have to do with anything?

Quote:
I have super powers in how to take care of the low end problems of a room.
Or perhaps just a very vivid imagination..........

Rod
Old 17th May 2012
Lives for gear

I think you are kind of awesome mc.
You have mad poor rhetorical skills

Why do you not just post the impulse response of your room(s)?
You push people to post their results with what seems like a clear wish for competition.
Very resourcefull people post here and dedicate their time to help out and share experiences.
It is a completely different perspective.

If I feel the need for a non constructive rampage I don't have the heart to do it on the best section of gs.
I suggest you do the same.

All the best.
Old 17th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mctwins View Post
It dosen't matter how you point it, just measure.
you are not an expert here - please stop promoting false information of which you are not versed to speak on.
your room's frequency response does not dictate the inherent behavior differences of free-field vs diffuse-field mics.

Mctwins, you already have a thread created to discuss your personal listening room. can you please keep your blatant attempts to brag and focus attention to your room within your own thread? your room is not relevant to the OP's question. do you need further validation for your room/choices?
Old 18th May 2012
Gear Nut

I made a number of measurements last night at different angles, positions, and even moving the speaker around. So, going back to the op's original post, i don't think it really matters how the mic is positioned. I didn't exactly study the results unsmoothed, but generally the results were coming out the same time and time again regardless of mic setup, certainly in the low end where the most difficulties generally occur.
Old 18th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by onceagain View Post
I made a number of measurements last night at different angles, positions, and even moving the speaker around. So, going back to the op's original post, i don't think it really matters how the mic is positioned. I didn't exactly study the results unsmoothed, but generally the results were coming out the same time and time again regardless of mic setup, certainly in the low end where the most difficulties generally occur.
As I said, just measure.
The most important is to measure before and after to see if there is any changes.

Good observation
Old 18th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by onceagain View Post
As stated previously, the difference might be small, especially in an untreated room (featuring early reflections arriving from various directions). If you isolate the direct sound using gates, you´re likely to see up to 5 dB difference in the highest region. Below about 2-3 kHz, the ECM8000 (according to the test linked to in previous posts) is truly omnidirectional and direction does not matter.

http://www.cross-spectrum.com/cslmic...mic_report.pdf
Old 18th May 2012
Gear Nut

Glenn and Rod , I have over 30 S-field rooms (like McTwins) around the world , all can be easily tuned after the customers taste and be used as mixrooms ,recording rooms and listening rooms Psychoacousticall they are made to expose everything in the recording using my Time Delay Lines in the nearfield Soft absorbers can be put in the modules if the customer wants less accuracy
I plan to visit McTwins this summer and check if there dedicated room fullfill my S-field concept From there own measurments (the so important sliced ETC curves are perefct both in time and level ) its seems there will be just small adjustments to get the SMT Level 3 Diplom
The S-field concept is evulated by some of the most respected musicians ,mixers and audiophiles and statements just keep dropping in so I think its embarrassing to read "photoshopping (Glenn) and" vivid imagination" (Rod) when you obvious not experints SMT toolbox Until then I suggest you trust SMT statements that keep dropping in
The Varitunes work like phase shifters and are effective enough to skip the mike and just use your ears while you run testtones and adjust the hatch They can also work as passive EQ in the recording room (adjusting some hatches and you go from a dry to a more coloured warm sound)
Just some examples that appeared on a Swedish forum 2 weeks ago V4 on each resonance

before +-9 dB in a 16m2 room

+-4dB 2 V-6 basstrapps

Best
Matts Odemalm
SMT AB
Old 18th May 2012
Lives for gear

Matts,

I don't believe that Glenn ever said anything negative about either your products or your methods... and I know for a fact that I never have.

However - McTwin makes statements that are absurd on the face of them - and it is this we (and others) are responding to.

Sincerely,

Rod
Old 18th May 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Gervais View Post
Matts,

I don't believe that Glenn ever said anything negative about either your products or your methods... and I know for a fact that I never have.

However - McTwin makes statements that are absurd on the face of them - and it is this we (and others) are responding to.

Sincerely,

Rod
Right unless a company is a proven fraud I would never say a word against them. Needless to say my "photoshop" comment was referring to Ethan figuring out a thing or two.
GIK or Realtraps?
Old 19th May 2012
Lives for gear

Matts, you are very welcome to pay a visit and it is good to have a second opinion about my room. You can make your own measurements as well.
It will be interesting.
Old 13th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
I am not sure it says to point it up but needless to say you do not want to move the mic when doing multiple tests in the same spot. The only time you move the mic is if you are trying to fine tune where the mix and or speakers should be or figuring out where a problem might be coming from.
Hey Glenn, sorry for quoting this old post, I’m actually in the process of testing my room in preparation for placing an order with GIK. Using REW, what is the best place to sit while running tests? I have noticed a definite effect on results depending where I am physically located.

Thanks
Old 13th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyder boy View Post
what is the best place to sit while running tests? I have noticed a definite effect on results depending where I am physically located.
The best place to sit is outside the room! There's a "Delay" function in REW that allows you to set a timer to give you time to leave the room, plus a few seconds extra to allow things in the room to settle down. Your body can, indeed, affect the measurements, which is why you should not be in the room while the tests runs.

- Stuart -
Old 13th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundman2020 View Post
The best place to sit is outside the room! There's a "Delay" function in REW that allows you to set a timer to give you time to leave the room, plus a few seconds extra to allow things in the room to settle down. Your body can, indeed, affect the measurements, which is why you should not be in the room while the tests runs.

- Stuart -
Hey thanks, I know the program well, and never ever made that connection
Old 16th May 2019
Gear Addict

In my own room I can’t escape! The door is in the middle of the rear wall (fitted with pressure-based panels on the back of it); and I have a bunch of portable bass traps that I move into place on the back wall when mixing. Takes about 30 seconds to set everything up and barricade myself in. Useful when being pursued by my kids

So... my method when measuring is to lie flat on the floor, lengthways down the room against one of the side walls, sort of hiding behind a bass combo amp, and as far away from the mic as possible.

Other methods may also be considered…

Room measuring with ECM8000-spiderman-ceiling-fan.png
Attached Thumbnails
Room measuring with ECM8000-spiderman-ceiling-fan.png  
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skol303 View Post
In my own room I can’t escape! The door is in the middle of the rear wall (fitted with pressure-based panels on the back of it); and I have a bunch of portable bass traps that I move into place on the back wall when mixing. Takes about 30 seconds to set everything up and barricade myself in. Useful when being pursued by my kids

So... my method when measuring is to lie flat on the floor, lengthways down the room against one of the side walls, sort of hiding behind a bass combo amp, and as far away from the mic as possible.

Other methods may also be considered…

I know this is an old thread, but doing my Room measuring research today and this post gave me the giggles

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search