The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bass problems Utility Software
Old 16th May 2012
Gear Addict

Bass problems

Hi
I used the Test tone oscillator and was sweeping the tone in my room I notice that 109hz the bass gets a lot louder. Here is a picture of my studio. I have bass traps in all corners and on the walls etc. Can some one help me get the bass more even. I notice it when I am mixing. the bass is loud in spots and quieter in other spots depending on the frequency.
thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Bass problems-photo.jpg  
Old 16th May 2012
Gear Guru

Generally in a small room (depending on how bad it was before) to get within a 15 db window is pretty darn good. Rooms that have spent thousands and shaped right are considered outstanding with a 10db window. If you want to really know where you are at I would recommend the following video to test.
GIK Acoustics. REW Room EQ Wizard Room Measurement Tutorial video.
Old 16th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joji View Post
Hi
I used the Test tone oscillator and was sweeping the tone in my room I notice that 109hz the bass gets a lot louder. Here is a picture of my studio. I have bass traps in all corners and on the walls etc. Can some one help me get the bass more even. I notice it when I am mixing. the bass is loud in spots and quieter in other spots depending on the frequency.
thanks
I also have problems with that frequency...
I'm close to kicking my speakers out the door....

Can't figure out what causes it and how or why it's happening.
And whats even funniier is your room is more treated then mine .
Old 17th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdupproductions View Post
I also have problems with that frequency...
I'm close to kicking my speakers out the door....

Can't figure out what causes it and how or why it's happening.
And whats even funniier is your room is more treated then mine .
It means that those trapps dosen't work.
Old 17th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi
thanks
Put Varitunes V4 and V6 in your room, will fix your bass problems. In my room I have +/- 3dB from 20hz-200Hz without resonances.

To have 15dB span it's not acceptable, if you ask me.
Old 17th May 2012
Old 17th May 2012
Lives for gear

Old 17th May 2012
Lives for gear

Old 17th May 2012
Lives for gear

Old 17th May 2012
Lives for gear

Old 17th May 2012
Gear Guru

Reality

It is very difficult to achieve a decent response in a small domestic room.
You need to surrender some of your goals.
e.g. Try to get a decent response in the sweet spot only.
I am finding Dirac Live very useful.
Many LF problems come from the back wall. However to treat it fully would need very deep fibre or Enhanced LF absorber.
Perforated Panel with Porous Absorber trap

DD
Old 8th June 2012
Gear Addict

Will pulling my desk a little further out from the front wall make a difference in a 109hz. I will probably get a outboard eq and dip it. so it does not drive me crazy

thanks
Old 8th June 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Will pulling my desk a little further out from the front wall make a difference in a 109hz. I will probably get a outboard eq and dip it. so it does not drive me crazy

thanks
Maybe, honestly hard to say without testing. It could be also that might need more bass trapping.
Old 8th June 2012
Lives for gear

How thick are your panels and of what composition?

2" panels hanging directly against the wall do nothing at all at 109hz no matter what they are made of.

Your corner units look too thin. Adding 4" of thickness will help a lot.

Remember, adding a gap behind a absorption panel is critical to getting it down to lower frequencies unless they are very thick.

Bass problems-2-inch-oc703-different-gaps.gif

Even 2" OC703 can do reasonably well with a decent gap behind it.
Old 8th June 2012
Gear Addict

Hi
the panels are 4" thick and the ones on the back wall are 6 inch. But the ones on the right and left are flush to the wall. everything else has a space behind the bass traps.
Old 8th June 2012
Lives for gear

And they are made of............
Old 8th June 2012
Gear Addict

Corner 703 I think
Old 8th June 2012
What's the exact measurement of your room?
Old 8th June 2012
Gear Addict

The length is 14' and the width is 8'
I have floor to ceiling bass traps in each corner. I have 3 bass traps on the front wall 4" thick
I have 2 Bass traps on the back wall 6" thick.
3 Bass traps on the ceiling above my head
I have a bass trap on the left and right of me in front of the speakers but on the walls.
I also have auralex lenard bass traps on the front and back ceiling to wall
Old 8th June 2012
Lives for gear

The only real way to help here is to know what you have already.

Corner 703 i think ???.... doesnt tell nearly enough. If you truly want help, figure what each and every panel is, its thickness, its gap from wall, its composition, and go to Porous Absorber Calculator and plug everything in.

Knowing where you are is only the beginning. But moving forward is pure guesswork without it.
Old 9th June 2012
Lives for gear

No offence guys....but he allready has bass trapps. Dispite what they are made of it seems not to be working.

It is time for you to do some proper measurements of your room with real acoustical program like REW, ARTA, to really see how it looks like.
Old 9th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
what is the ceiling height? probably should use REW or FuzzMeasure and take a full room measurement and post the file(s).
Old 10th June 2012
Gear Addict

Also I forgot to add. I have my subwoofer to the righ in the front right coner. should this be in the center. would this affect the 109hz problem?
Old 10th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Also I forgot to add. I have my subwoofer to the righ in the front right coner. should this be in the center. would this affect the 109hz problem?
Integrating a sub is a bit more involved than plug it in and put it "there".
You're going to need to try several spots and find the best one for your particular system/room.
Old 11th June 2012

Listening to the pensados place podcast 40 the other day where they had a acoustic expert as a guest . He said that if your room is small , has a low ceiling and square ( every thing that your room is ) it is impossible to fix it . You just try to get the best you can .
Old 11th June 2012
Lives for gear

Assuming your room height is about 9 feet (from the looks of your picture) this frequency isn't really closely related to any of your room modes at all. Considering your monitors look just about mid height in the room, you might try moving your speakers vertically up and down a bit if possible - it could be as simple as that!

Also, usually the worst possible place you can put a sub is the corner. But, if your response sounds good other than ~110hz I wouldn't move it without testing.
Old 11th June 2012
Quote:
I have floor to ceiling bass traps in each corner. I have 3 bass traps on the front wall 4" thick
I have 2 Bass traps on the back wall 6" thick.
3 Bass traps on the ceiling above my head
I have a bass trap on the left and right of me in front of the speakers but on the walls.
I also have auralex lenard bass traps on the front and back ceiling to wall
Is that the exact measurement? What's the ceiling height?

I have a room with almost the same measurements and have a problem around 115Hz.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search