I've been building some clouds for my tracking room and I just wanted to say that the three I have installed so far have made a huge difference in controlling floor/ceiling reflections and improving spacial detail in stereo recordings!
The rest of the room will soon have 8 more clouds installed! I will update as I make progress.
A huge thanks to the acoustics gurus who post here - Avare, Rod Gervis, Glenn Kuras, Mr. Winer, boggy, Gulfo and others! Your sound advice, backed by measures of experience, has improved the acoustic lives of many such as myself.
Questions, recommendations, and comments of all sorts are welcome!
Pictured below are an array of two omniffusors joined by two Roxul r80 2" panels behind prm43 slat scatterers (slightly modified), design courtesy of Glenn (aka Gullfo on here). Also in the works are binary slat scatterers (based on boggy's posted binary sequence) which will house the r80 as well. Note that the speaker pictured is not in use and belongs to my roomate
Added 7 more clouds for a total of 10! The panels on the far ends of the 5 panel array are newell sequence with absorptive backing. The room is sounding much better now; flutter echo seems relatively mitigated under the clouds, though I am still trying to determine optimal placement and may decrease the gap between panels.
The yet untreated area under the fan had always been the worst in terms of flutter echo - due to clearance issues, I think I may attach foam panels to that part of the ceiling.
Any ideas besides foam for tackling this part of the ceiling?
There's a 7" gap between the top of the fan blade and the lowest part of the ceiling.
Couple more idea - slight angles on the panels may help as you have a lot of hard surfaces and the HF may be your main cause of floor-ceiling flutter. Also, small amounts of scattered absorption on the ceiling (2" thick w cloth) can allow you to keep the panels apart and spread their effects but also eliminate any final flutter.
Do you mean parallel to the ceiling (they are parallel to the floor now), or angled in some other way?
Originally Posted by gullfo
Also, small amounts of scattered absorption on the ceiling (2" thick w cloth) can allow you to keep the panels apart and spread their effects but also eliminate any final flutter.
Great idea! I do have one r80 board left that I can slice up and attach to the ceiling as described. How thin would you go, 6" x 12", or maybe 8"x24"?
I did notice a bit of comb filtering in a vocal I recorded under the three-panel array. Would placing rockwool slices between panels help?
I also could place a batt of roxul r60 above the omniffusor panel, though I'm not sure if that would be optimal as don't know what the effect of differing densities of absorbers would be (the omniffusors have mild absorptive properties).
Originally Posted by gullfo
Thanks! They do look better in photo than real life though
What is your recommendation concerning putting a Roxul R60 2" fire batt on top of the omniffusor? Good use of the material? Is that redundant, or will that cause resonance issues due to differing densities? Thanks for all your help so far!
Ha ha, no, it's not exhibiting resonances (that I can tell at least). I had thought that two absorptive materials could actually reduce their absorbing effectiveness due to impedance mismatch caused by differing densities, though I suppose this does not apply to a mostly reflective/diffusive material as it only has mild absorptive properties. Anyway, I'll definitely try the absorption between gaps and let you know how that turns out. Thanks again!
This one's for Dandan Not a cloud, but built around the same time as the first clouds installed.
Newell grating on one side, pure absorption on the other. Construction is 2" r80 rockboard/small gap/3/4" MDF/ small gap/ 2"rockboard. I picked up casters on a whim while at home depot - don't know what I would do without them as they're 60lbs+ each!
These have proved incredibly indispensable during sessions!
Thanks for the kind words Cegor! The truth is, I can't remember the specific times since I had simultaneous projects going.
Probably two or three days as I like to let glued parts and paint dry over night.
I'll keep track when I build the next batch though