The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Krk Ergo not working
Old 9th April 2012
Here for the gear

Krk Ergo not working

Hello there,

I recently bought a Krk Ergo for my studio. Installed it, and felt it really did a good job. The low end sounded more in front and tighter.

Today i started my mac and the ergo only makes clip noises. Especially when you turn the volume knob: it almost blows out my woofers and tweeters. No sound at all. I run the ergo as a soundcard on firewire. I've tried to use my old soundcard with the ergo in analog or spdif-mode but then also no sound. Strange but if i use the ergo without fw the I/O light atays on red.

So far i know i updated all the nescesarry updates and firmware.

Any clues why it is not working?
Old 9th April 2012
Lives for gear

I would start by uninstalling and then reinstalling and re-shooting the room. Sounds like your system has some kind of incompatibility issue. What kind of computer? Check that your daw still has the ERGO drivers inside the interface recognition. In Cubase if I don't show my interface inside the VST Audio System Asio Driver selection box, all goes haywire. Always go back to the basics when something like this happens.
Old 10th April 2012
Here for the gear

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunatly calibrating isn't working either. It's not even producing the test tones and the only sound it makes is squeaking noises now and then that make you wanna cry because you see your monitors being hurt :-(

any other ideas what causes this problem?? i honestly have no idea why a product works the other day and refuses the next day without any change to it.

FOr your interest: i run Logic Pro on a mac pro. Logic and system preferences see the Ergo as sound card which i can choose, but the the only sounds coming out are squeaking Woofer and tweeter killing noises.....
Old 10th April 2012
JWL
Lives for gear

Apart from my general suspicion of Ergo and similar "room-correction" systems (for details as to why see RealTraps - Audyssey Room EQ ), it definitely sounds like something is malfunctioning. Presumably the manufacturer has some sort of tech support you could utilise.
Old 11th April 2012
Here for the gear

Thanks,

I am trying to contact krk head office in the us. The company here on holland who imports all krk stuff tells me they do not repair, they just send it back for waranty and receive a mew one.

To me it sounds like the output is the issue (although both ports don't give any sound). Tried to shoot the room over but there are no testtones coming out of my monitors.

For the record: i've treated my room acousticaly with several traps around the room, basstraps in the corners and a trap above my sweetspot.
When the ergo was doing fine i feltlike i had more tighter bass which also sounded harder. That could be right because i always turn in my kicks and bass too hard when i am listening back on other systems: ergo turned the low end up and made it tighter. Guess there is a huge dip in the low end from my studio. Been experimenting with room eq wizard and audionet's carma 3.0 but so far i haven't been able to get the calibration working.
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

You say that you installed it and it worked - then suddenly stopped working.

With software there are only certain possibilities that exist when a program stops working that worked fine - a bug in the software, a change in the system or a file that became corrupted.......

If you made no changes to your system - then I would completely uninstall the program - and then reinstall.......

The uninstall would be an important part of this to assure that you did not leave a corrupted file behind that did not get replaced during a reinstall.

Good luck,

Rod
Old 11th April 2012
Here for the gear

Well, i installed the calibration software. After calibrating ergo saves its mesurements to its memory and makes his filter. Will try it to see if this helps. Thanks for the tip Rod.
Old 12th April 2012
Gear Maniac

You forgot one other thing Rod,
Sometimes an update is required for the software in question to keep it compatible with changes in the operating system or one of it's components due to updates.
Sometimes said software update doesn't exist because they haven't done any compatibility checks. But check their (Krk's) Homepage, Service and Forums if they have them to see if this is a known problem.
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriHar View Post
You forgot one other thing Rod,
Sometimes an update is required for the software in question to keep it compatible with changes in the operating system or one of it's components due to updates.
Sometimes said software update doesn't exist because they haven't done any compatibility checks. But check their (Krk's) Homepage, Service and Forums if they have them to see if this is a known problem.
That's a good point Bri, and it certainly might be a solution to a problem.

But it wasn't something I necessarily missed - I addressed 3 specific issues that create the problem - changes (whether in the operating system or hardware) was one of the causes I listed.

I didn't bother mentioning anything regarding updates because he said that he had installed (to the best of his knowledge) all of the updates and firmware.....

If there was a system update that screwed up the works and no fix for the software - then his only recourse would be to roll back the system to the last configuration the software worked with.

Rod
Old 12th April 2012
Gear Maniac

Yes it always comes down to changes, you learn that pretty quickly in the Kepner Tregoe Analytical Troubleshooting course.

OK you didn't really miss it, but this is one of those changes that often happens without realizing it and uninstall-reinstall doesn't help, all you know is 'you didn't do anything' and it worked earlier.
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriHar View Post
Yes it always comes down to changes, you learn that pretty quickly in the Kepner Tregoe Analytical Troubleshooting course.

OK you didn't really miss it, but this is one of those changes that often happens without realizing it and uninstall-reinstall doesn't help, all you know is 'you didn't do anything' and it worked earlier.
Bri,

Actually that could happen to me without me "doing something"

I do not allow automatic system updates - never have and never will.

Microcrap operating systems modifications tend to suck - and they love to do things to your system that I will not allow - so I check their updates very carefully and only install those that I find will either fix one of the many bugs they introduce (either in the initial design or happily throw in to screw things up along the way) or something that I believe will benefit me personally and not them in any manner.....

So I always know exactly when an update has taken place - and have my system set up so I can return to my previous state in the even that something strange happens.

This goes back to my days as a Unix SA - leave nothing to chance,

Rod
Old 13th April 2012
Here for the gear

Ok, Did some experimenting on the ergo !

Found a way to update the ergo (it wasn't updating the firmware on my MP with 10.7.3) so i found a MBP that runs 10.6.8 and updated the ergo with the latest firmware. Glad that worked, but it didn't help!

i took the MBP to install and calibrate the ergo all over but that also didn't do any. Checked my cables, and they work fine with my other sound card. So it leaves me with the only option that the outputs of the ergo are the problem. Both A+B ports don't give any sound but that awful squeaking noise. When trying to calibrate it doesn't even produces the test tones. So i guess it is the hardware that is disappointing me instead of the software.

any clues on what to do with it? is there any way to get this ergo running again?

Looking forward to any reply.
Old 13th April 2012
Lives for gear

I would suggest that the best way to deal with this would be with their tech support..... 1-800-4GIBSON (1-800-444-2766)
Old 13th April 2012
Here for the gear

Thanks Rod, i made contact thru email with their customer support. Lets hope they can help me out with this.

To Be Continued
Old 14th April 2012
Here for the gear

Btw i am trying to shoot my room with room eq wizard but so far i can't get any response through my mic. Could this because i am using the mic from the ergo? Or is it the way i am hooking it up? I Use my m-audio firewire solo as imput/output. The mic plugged into the mic imput ( at front) isn't responding but switching to the back has no imput either. Obvious i am doing something wrong here, but what??
Old 27th April 2012
Here for the gear

maybe you guys can help..
I've had a pretty good experience with Ergo so far. (with just a set of powered speakers) - I am a little unsure on how to hook up the system I'm hoping for.
I want to set up two sets of speakers: A set with sub and a B set without sub. So, signal to sub woofer first then to A's. And have B's separate for reference. (I have a switcher to shut the sub off if I need it) Now. Do I run cables to the sub then to A's? Do I run Ergo room analysis after that? What do I tell Ergo? - that I'm using a sub?
Will I then after checking the room with A's, will I check the room with the B set?
The instructions on this are pretty vague...
I'm afraid I made this system too complicated and now I'm not sure what to believe acoustically.
Any help appreciated.
Old 10th September 2012
Here for the gear

Coenie,

I have the same problem (even more) with you with my ergo.
I'm on iMac mid2011 with Lion 10.7.4. I installed the latest software, and tried to run the ergo and ableton. here's what happened:

at first, it connected but after a while, it was disconnecting and the system was not seeing it anymore. the time for it to disconnect was completely random, sometimes after a couple of seconds, sometimes after a couple of minutes.

then after some trials of disconnecting/connecting the firewire cable (maybe 20 times), everything started running perfect (in the meantime i uninstalled/reinstalled the software), I could meausure and use ergo as my audio interface, I could record some stuff into ableton using it etc. I set it to my default input/output on my mac. everything was ok, except sometimes automatically disconnecting from the computer, but it was not a big deal for me. I decided to try it with garageband too. it was also ok, but after sometime the sound started to get distorted, not only from garageband, but all the outputs from mac.

I disconnected, turned it off and when I was turning it on again, for a long time even the power light was not working (red/green nothing was there). for some reason, these lights started to work again. but the same problem with the firewire connection. it turned to green and after a while it turned to red again.

I tried uninstalling the latest software and reinstalling many many times. today I had a relatively long period that the firewire light was green. I ran ergo cal, asked for measurements. Then this time no audio was coming out from ergo. I tried ableton, selected ergo as inputs/outputs, opened an instrument, no sound. I set the output of mac to ergo, and no sound. (Coenie, this is where it looks like the same problem as yours). and eventually the power light turned to red, which is no surprise for me anymore. The configuration, cables are the same as yesterday when everything was working perfectly...

my question is: did you find a way to solve your problem? if other people had similar problems/have suggestions, please help! I tried to search for similar problems, but this forums looks the only place where people are discussing about ergo. Another user at amazon seems to have the same problem of ergo disconnecting from the computer randomly without any reason...

if you made it reading till the end, thanks people =)

cheers
Old 15th March 2013
Here for the gear

Hi Kyle,

Sorry for the late reply. Just read your question.

To answer your question: No! The Ergo doesn't work anymore and i don't know a way to get it fixed. I simply bought a new one ...:-)

The nee one works very well and acousticly to my satisfaction.

Cheers

Coen
Old 29th November 2013
Here for the gear

Hi everyone
I've been using KRK Ergo for the last four years with satisfaction and without the slightest problem. I don't use it as an audio interface but only to balance the speakers – the signal comes from my MOTU system thru Ergo's SPDIF IN . A few days ago I updated the firmware as per instructions from the KRK site. Disaster. My Ergo initially started behaving erratically then all lights went out, apart for the light around the big volume knob. No sound comes out anymore and my Mac doesn't recognize it anymore. I have tried with other two Macs but none finds it on the firewire connection. I am stuck and quite nervous. I tried contacting KRK but so far no answer and I wonder if they'll ever answer. Help anyone? Thanx
Old 14th January 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanny View Post
Hi everyone
I've been using KRK Ergo for the last four years with satisfaction and without the slightest problem. I don't use it as an audio interface but only to balance the speakers – the signal comes from my MOTU system thru Ergo's SPDIF IN . A few days ago I updated the firmware as per instructions from the KRK site. Disaster. My Ergo initially started behaving erratically then all lights went out, apart for the light around the big volume knob. No sound comes out anymore and my Mac doesn't recognize it anymore. I have tried with other two Macs but none finds it on the firewire connection. I am stuck and quite nervous. I tried contacting KRK but so far no answer and I wonder if they'll ever answer. Help anyone? Thanx
Hi Sanny, today happend the same sort of problem to me.
Since I wanted to update the firmware as well, I first downloaded the Ergo Software v1.51 and afterwards the firmware updater v1.32.24 first the updater gave an error message (Did not find any network nodes). On this forum I saw this guy of KRK suggesting to chance the firewire cables and so I did.
The Ergo was found so problem solved I thought...
This was really not the case... The Ergo now goes on,(the light around the big volume knob, like yours) but the firewire led stays off and the control panel can't find the Ergo any more.... I really don't know what to do now and for the last couple of hours I tried all different things. De-connect the Ergo, reconnect again, nothing happened! Used different cables, different ports on my Mac. The Ergo stays in the same mode... Green led off and the A, B/Sub, Focus leds are off as well... Restart my Mac, problem stays..
When using the firmware updater again it says [using built-in resources...] Press button to begin scan... 1 device found in network: Scan complete. Re-scan or Quit.

Does this mean I'm ****ed up now or? After reading KRK stopped manufacturing the ERGO, this feeling got worse... I contacted KRK and hope it's just a tiny thing that can be solved easily.... For something I payed €459,- not even 3 years ago, I hope it's not over, cause of a software bug/firmware hickup

What happened in your case?
Old 14th January 2014
Here for the gear

Hi there, to make a long story short I am totally pissed with KRK. After trying to update the ERGO firmware with their AUTHORIZED software, the unit stopped working as described in previous posts. Obviously, the fw update procedure did break my Ergo. I contacted the distributor and they told me it was a – known – problem. Since the fw update takes place in the flash memory welded to the motherboard, when something goes wrong it has to be replaced. The technical staff told me it is much cheaper to replace the motherboard instead of un-welding the flash. The other solution was to buy a new Ergo. So I had to send mine to the distributor and PAY to have it fixed and so losing my mixing set up. I am mad at KRK because I did not do anything to break the unit, I just followed the instructions KRK gives along with the firmware update and voilà, my Ergo was good for the trash bin. I had to pay € 160 plus € 10 for transport. The distributor was kind enough to give me a small discount on the € 180 I was supposed to pay. It took forever to receive the unit back but in the end I have it working again – nothing was wrong before the ….ing update. Now I am left with less money in my wallet and a big grudge towards KRK and their worthless costumer care. I own seven KRK monitors, headphones and one Ergo. I had three problems with their gear in the course of time and it has been hell every time. BTW I looked forward to being able to store different calibrations for different monitor set ups I happen to work with or other places I go to when I am not in my studio. The problem is that it takes ages to save and restore the calibration saved to hard disk. And sometimes, after 20 plus minutes of calibration the saving process doesn't end well. I had the software freezing at 90% or even 96%. Does it happen to you also?
Old 14th January 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanny View Post
Hi there, to make a long story short I am totally pissed with KRK. After trying to update the ERGO firmware with their AUTHORIZED software, the unit stopped working as described in previous posts. Obviously, the fw update procedure did break my Ergo. I contacted the distributor and they told me it was a – known – problem. Since the fw update takes place in the flash memory welded to the motherboard, when something goes wrong it has to be replaced. The technical staff told me it is much cheaper to replace the motherboard instead of un-welding the flash. The other solution was to buy a new Ergo. So I had to send mine to the distributor and PAY to have it fixed and so losing my mixing set up. I am mad at KRK because I did not do anything to break the unit, I just followed the instructions KRK gives along with the firmware update and voilà, my Ergo was good for the trash bin. I had to pay € 160 plus € 10 for transport. The distributor was kind enough to give me a small discount on the € 180 I was supposed to pay. It took forever to receive the unit back but in the end I have it working again – nothing was wrong before the ….ing update. Now I am left with less money in my wallet and a big grudge towards KRK and their worthless costumer care. I own seven KRK monitors, headphones and one Ergo. I had three problems with their gear in the course of time and it has been hell every time. BTW I looked forward to being able to store different calibrations for different monitor set ups I happen to work with or other places I go to when I am not in my studio. The problem is that it takes ages to save and restore the calibration saved to hard disk. And sometimes, after 20 plus minutes of calibration the saving process doesn't end well. I had the software freezing at 90% or even 96%. Does it happen to you also?
Damn... Well my story get's better... I hope..
While searching my Hd for the invoice, so I could contact the distributor, I came across an old firmware version 1.14 I decided to give it a try.
The update screen, asked me if I wanted to replace the consisting firmware for this version and so I did.. The green led started burning again and the Ergo looked alive again.
After that I updated to version 1.23 and then to the latest one 1.32.24
I tried the Ergo and my music is coming out again! I noticed that the volume knob isn't correct any more, it starts at 10 before twelve, but I guess it needs to recal the room again and then we are back where we started....

Will keep you posted what happens next, but OMG I felt sick last night..
Old 30th January 2014
Here for the gear

Krk ergo not working

Dear All,

I found this thread this afternoon when I too had a problem caused by updating the firmware in my Ergo unit to 1.24. Basically it tried to do it and it then gave an error message which left all the lights off except that surrounding the knob.

No matter how much I tried to reinstall the firmware the ERGO seemed dead - accompanied by a slight dead feeling in the pit of my insides.

Anyway - the previous message very helpfully pointed the way forward. I didn't have an earlier version of the firmware - but I did find one mentioned here:-

Upgrading KRK ERGO | Waxer.nl

and it in turn points to an earlier version of the firmware updater file here:-

http://www.krksys.com/drivers/ERGO_P...re_1.10_R2.zip

I initially tried to install this on my Windows 7 laptop but I got a whole new series of error messages - but at least they were error messages and I was not just being ignored in the way that the later updaters 1.23 and 1.24 actually did.

Its says in the KRK documentation somewhere (can't remember where) that any laptop should have a firewire port with the right sort of chips inside - and that the update will fail otherwise (very helpful - particularly if its going to trash your equipment with no way back!!). This made me think - and I switched on an ancient 2005 vintage HP Windows XP laptop that was in the cupboard. I looked at its firewire chip set (Devices - show devices) and found it was made by Texas Instruments - exactly the usually recommended chip set for audio application.

Anyway - I loaded and ran the ERGO application from the original CD - and not a later version as these seem to be more picky about whats working or not (too much error checking I suspect - you can be too helpful sometimes!). This was to install a working firewire device driver for Windows.

I loaded the Ergo firmware driver 1.10 (from above) and ran it. Lo and behold - it found the device and asked me if I wanted to update the firmware. I answered yes and the lights on the ERGO magically came on.

I then repeated this procedure of running the firmware update for 1.23 and 1.24 in sequence.

NOTE: It seemed to be necessary to reboot Windows between each installation. I'm not saying it is vital - but I found it best and allowed Windows to sort itself out.

After this I installed the latest 1.51 ergo application program and will recalibrate. Hopefully, this will go without any more problems although I will use my ancient Windows XP machine which will probably now have a guaranteed future.

Anyway - I hope this is of some help to someone and thanks to the forum for helping me sort out my muddle.

Regards
Bjaygee
Old 25th April 2015
Here for the gear

ergo trouble doesnt work!!

I have ergo and I 've been trying to work with it.. but I cant. that drive dowsnt work well.. it stops to work after some seconds..its hard to connect it with pc.. I dont no why its happens... someone can help me about it? thank's
Old 25th April 2015
Lives for gear

I've been using Ergo for a few years now. Other than a scratchy pot, it has worked flawlessly. The key to it is setting it up and doing the calibrating from a different computer. I use a laptop which runs the Ergo software. Since Ergo stores the adjusted calibration results and settings internally, there is no need to leave it connected to the computer. So, calibrate from aerostats machine, store the settings, disconnect the computer, mix music uninterrupted by a haywire monitor controller.

BTW, the laptop that I calibrate from runs on Snow Leopard OS.
Old 11th August 2018
Here for the gear

Hi all,

can anyone tell me where to find trhe drivers for the ERGO? Seems KRK don't have them online anymore...
THX
Regards
Julius
Old 21st September 2018
Here for the gear

for Win or Mac

For Win I have the Software. And for Mac I search by myself
Old 23rd September 2018
Lives for gear
Mine is working fine. Guess I will never try to update the firmware after hearing the above horror stories.
Old 28th August 2019
Here for the gear

KRK Ergo firmware

hello Guys

I would like to ask you if someone source older 1.10, 1.14 firmware for KRK ERGO. Mine suddenly stopped working after recent FW update. OLD firmeare seems to be a antidot.
thank you
Old 7th September 2019
Here for the gear

Hi,

I don't normally come this way - and I just found an oldish message in my home junk email folder from jaro_simek. - probabaly looking for drivers for the KRK ERGO. I do have a fine selection on my computer - including 1.10.

Just to reiterate what I said a few years ago in this thread. The problem I had was that Windows 7 screwed up the ERGO (as in ALL the lights went out and I effectively was left with an expensive paperweight) when I tried to install the latest driver. The only way I could recover was by finding a Windows XP computer and using this to install the driver and perform the calibration - starting with the oldest driver and working to the newest. I haven't tried it with Windows 10 as obviously the ERGO once calibrated doesn't use the computer directly.

Hopefully 1.10 it is attached and helps.

If you want others - just leave a message.

I hope it helps.

Barry
Attached Files
File Type: zip ERGO_PC_Firmware_1.10_R2.zip (642.8 KB, 8 views)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search