The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Before posting your measurement results
Old 29th July 2014
Gear Guru

Linked

Eq can lengthen or shorten decay irrespective of level.
Room behaviour is linear over an extremely wide range of levels. Basically until the air breaks down at 190dB or so.
I don't really see the point in including an Eq while experimenting with treatment.
Fine to add it on afterwards as a bonus.
DD
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear
Thanks DanDan. Having worked in various music related for 50 years am fairy conversant with music related tech topics but I'm completely ignorant of practical acoustics, so thanks for answering dumb questions.

Do you think reverb time changes caused by EQ can be sufficiently blamed on ringing in the EQ filters? Or would you be inclined to seek other scapegoats?

Moved a scaled-down music setup into the livingroom of the house's basement apt after daughter finally moved out and I had remodeled the apt. Then got a driverack to play with because the old RTA is on its deathbed. Then began reading about acoustic treatment to find out how decent the office can be made to sound within reasonable trouble and modest budget, not being a perfectionist and having no intention to do any commercial recording for hire in the small space.

So the acoustic treatment is an idle experiment. Maybe will learn something along the way. The driverack allows cheap convenient experimentation on crossovers between monitors and subs, EQ, etc. The driverack will auto-EQ in about 1 minute so it isn't any trouble to re-EQ.

Been making about one bass trap per week over the last month. With REW I can measure the effect of each new added trap for future perusal, then do an auto-EQ and save that measurement as well. Can listen to sample music or my synths over the week, with EQ either enabled or disabled. Until a new trap is ready to install and new measurements to be made.

Ear training re what I hear after each change, whether the changes are ultimately judged beneficial, the question of whether modest EQ is or is not beneficial, etc. And eventually be able to identify at some point, "it sounds as good as its gonna get." Or alternately, the default end game of, "there isn't any more space available in the room for additional treatment so the only alternative is to stop messing with the room and learn to live with the results."
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear
[double post]
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search