The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DYI Panel Weekend Dynamics Plugins
Old 12th March 2012
Gear interested

DYI Panel Weekend

Hi fellow slutz,

I finally decided enough contemplation and went ahead and built myself 6 panels this weekend.

I was going to order from GIK, but lots of things happened since then and I thought I would give it a go myself first. After all a bit of DIY is quite fun! I ended up below $50 on average per panel in costs as well for an added bonus (this is, after all, uber expensive Norway).

First off I went to the hardware store to get (and cut) some wood for frames, mineral wool panels plus all those other little tidbits I needed. Also stopped by IKEA for fabric to wrap the panels in, and went with regular cotton in white and red.

The panels are 2" Paroc acoustic panels (mineral wool just like Rockwool, "model" name NRS 2t) and the wood for the frame are 21x21mm (0.8")

Finally back home I was ready to start construction, and got started with the frames. I used a drill to pre drill holes in the frames to make them nice and straight, then used a tiny bit of wood glue and screwed them tight.

The mineral wool panels came in a box of 8, so I decided to build four 2" panels and two 4" panels - in other words I built six frames!

While doing the construction I had to make dinner for me and my sick girlfriend so I did a bit of multitasking, plus a bit of rehydrating

Once dinner was consumed and all 6 frames were screwed together and let to dry for 10 minutes, it was time to apply fabric to the back of all frames. Once done, I decided to call it a night.

The next day it was time to finish these babies, so I went ahead and cut up the necessary fabric pieces and got back to business.

A few hours later, they were all done! I'm still missing the wires and whatnot to start hanging them on the walls and ceiling, so for now my room looks like this:

Not too shabby for my first time around if I may say so myself. Learnt a few tricks along the way so my next build will likely be faster, and with all panels looking equally sharp - this time around I found myself improving as I went therefore making the final ones better.

Old 12th March 2012
Gear Guru

Hang out

Well done. Pretty sharp. For hanging:-
Hilti HLD2/Kwik Tog plasterboard anchors.
Small metal L brackets and strong plastic cable ties.
BTW, if Statoil need any extra Oil or Gas, we are giving it away free....

DD
Old 12th March 2012
Gear interested

Thanks DanDan, any praise form such a "respected member" is a nice confidence booster

As for hanging, all the walls are concrete I'm afraid so I'll use the equivalent anchors. I was thinking screwing those metal ring/o anchors (seen on pic #2) on the inside of the frame and using wire to hang them much like you would a painting. What do you think? When it comes to the ceiling, I was going to try something simmilar only using four anchors per frame. Maybe I should build a "proper" cloud instead of hanging two of these panels above the listening position?

I think Statoil has all the oil and gas it needs
Old 12th March 2012
Gear Guru

Wire

I tried every type of wire here. The only one that worked was the rigid rod stuff used in suspended ceilings. Picture wire seems to slip.
I found the cable ties to be the best.
DD
Old 14th March 2012
Gear interested

Thank you DD.
Old 15th March 2012
Gear Maniac

Proper picture hanging wire should not slip - it's been around for donkey's years for this purpose and wouldn't have lasted if tended to slip. It is a stranded or braided, very flexible, malleable (soft) wire but doesn't stretch much - if at all.

Must admit I'm hard pressed to find it here in Switzerland, but in Canada I could get it no problem from any hardware store.
Old 15th March 2012
Gear Guru

Real

Well BriHar, I thought it wouldn't slip either but it did. Over and over.
I tried many different types and used all my nautical knotting skills!
The knots just seem to slowly open over a day or two.
I wouldn't dream of trying to use it again and think it is actually dangerous to recommend it.
MiniTraps weigh 18 pounds.
Cable ties or Suspended Ceiling Wire worked for me. I stressed them, e.g. pulled heavily on ceiling traps.

DD
Old 15th March 2012
Gear Maniac

The wire I'm referring to doesn't need to be tied or knotted, a length of maybe 3 inches is folded back once through the mounting eyelet, and then twisted. I've hung traps, pictures, even heavy mirrors in antique frames and never had a problem with it coming loose - not once, in fact it's a b1tch removing it later - usually have to cut it with wirecutters.
We can't be talking about the same stuff.
Old 15th March 2012
Gear Guru

Weird

Indeed you, and those in the USA that use this must be seeing different stuff.
I have gone to art shops, hardware shops, etc. etc.
It's all brass coloured braided stuff, labelled 'Picture Wire' DOH!
None of it worked for me.
DD
Old 19th March 2012
Gear interested

A quick update pic from last night

Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

Nice, lookin good!
Old 2nd April 2012
Gear addict

hey spz,

looks great! I think I'm going to re-do all my wall traps - i like how these came out. Much cleaner than mine.

Mind if i ask - what'd you end up using to hang them? The wood frames, was that 1x1?
Old 6th April 2012
Gear interested

Mike: the frames are 21x21mm which is about 0.8". I hung them using steel wire attached to the inside of he frames with screws that end in a ring. I've also found that they will hang quite well just resting the frame in a screw in the wall.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?wndqnb
Old 6th April 2012
Gear interested

Old 7th April 2012
Gear interested

Not strictly thread relevant, but definitely ties the whole room together

Old 7th April 2012
Gear Guru

Looking good and no problem on losing the sale. If nothing else it is great to see people treating there room.
Have you tested the room? You can use the following program for test. The video will show you how to set up the program and test.
REW - Room EQ Wizard Home Page
Old 7th April 2012
Gear interested

Glenn, thanks for the great attitude. I feel bad, because I asked Bryan a ton of questions initially. However, due to unforeseen events and other nonsese it just made sense for me to at least try myself first. Again thanks for you understanding and help, I am doing my best to evangelize in my local community (Oslo, Norway) about room treatment

I have measured the room before treatment, and a bit after just treating side walls and front corners, but my soundcard has decided not to play nice at the moment (Duet 1 + OSX Lion :/). When it does I will be sure to post the graphs!

I have no doubt that things will look better as I can very easily tell how much better the acoustics are in general, and the effect on decay time and overall soundstage clarity/size is palpable.

I have some serious peaks/nulls around 130-150hz which I will hopefully have tamed a bit, but I have no illusions about having fixed the +/-10 dB issues I have in that range.
Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search