The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Acoustic treatment - advice/opinion highly appreciated Condenser Microphones
Old 23rd February 2012
Here for the gear

Acoustic treatment - advice/opinion highly appreciated

Hello everybody!

For some time I've been searching through your discussions and advices here at gearslutz regarding acoustic treatment. I find it really helpful:) Thanks! At the moment I've moved my studio (sound post for picture) to the new place, which is actually a room in my house. I wanted to treat it with few DIY panels I wanted to make after your advices (for example this: Acoustic Treatment and Design for Recording Studios and Listening Rooms - great source of information!). I do not have any measure mic at the moment, but tried to make a little experiment to find out something about my new room.
I made in Pro Tools some samples of a sine waves (40, 50, 60Hz, etc…) just to listen to them and check how bad it gets. And… it gets really bed for my ears. Every sample sounds with different power. Some are very quiet, whereas other jump out from the speakers (Genelec 8040A). When I listen to it with my headphones (Sennheiser HD25), it sounds really even! (just getting a little bit louder as the frequency rises).
I send you a photo of what I did:] This is just a narrow band (40 to 320 Hz, as I know it causes most problems). I recorded the samples for you with the only one microphone I have at moment - Sennheiser ME-66. I know it's not for that purposes, but wanted to show you more or less how does it look like.

I attach for you also a drawing of my room. The rear wall is full of books, behind my back are two chairs, and the front wall is totally naked for the moment. I wanted to make some absorbers for the front wall, front corners, left wall and the ceiling, but now I'm a bit confused and afraid, that it might be more complicated than I thought, and that I might not be able to make it without any professional help, which is so damn expensive:(

Just wonder, what do you think? Maybe it doesn't look so bad for you?
Attached Thumbnails
Acoustic treatment - advice/opinion highly appreciated-my_room_drawing.jpg  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my_room_response.jpg (57.6 KB, 240 views)
Old 23rd February 2012
Lives for gear

You can test your room with REW with any microphone. A omni mic is just recommended, but not required. I highly suggest downloading it (Its free) and testing out your room. Its pretty simple and quite constructive.

The layout you have looks good. Don't always overthink it though, your mix position doesn't HAVE to be 38% - in fact it could sound better with your speakers all the way against the front wall, or anywhere in between. 38% is a safe place to start though. I would recommend setting up your speakers on stands and bring a chair in. Listen to some music or some signal generator tones on your speakers in the mix position, and move the mix position closer to the wall. Listen to music/tones, move closer to the wall. Repeat this step in 10-15cm increments. Once your speakers hit the wall, decide which position you think sounded the most even. If you wanted, something like this is where testing would come in handy. It only takes 5-20 seconds per test (depending on how many sweeps you do) so it would only take a couple of minutes to find the best mix & speaker position with testing.
Old 24th February 2012
JWL
Lives for gear

Old 25th February 2012
Gear Guru

Signal Generator

Room modes can be say 4-5Hz wide. Your 10Hz intervals or any intervals for that matter are likely to miss.
Similarly the Signal Generator in PT increments in seemingly random jumps.
SignalSuite is much much better. The Sig Gen in REW is also very good with a smooth glitch free glide. It has a Frequency follows cursor function. So you take a measurement, turn on the gennie, slide the cursor over a peak or dip, bullseye.
There is yet another intriguing one created by Boggy.
It generates pulses of tone which allow one to hear the after- ring. This is way way cool, thanks Bogic.
Wavelet type test tone designed for personal listening acoustical analysis
DD
Old 25th February 2012
Here for the gear

Thank you all for your support!!
As you advised, I decided not to panic and study my room acoustic as precisely as I can do it by myself.
I've already got the ECM8000 mic and downloaded REW. After few hours of reading REW Help Content and searching other forums I've found that the softwer doesn't actually work with my mbox 2… (how to setup REW using a MBox2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com)

Any other software that will run on snow leopard and work with mbox 2?
I know there is FuzzMeasure for Mac, but it costs 150$… I wouldn't hesitate, if not all the other expences I'm facing at the moment. I've been searching the forum but it seems other software runs on windows only.
Old 25th February 2012
Gear Guru

Max

REW works fine with the onboard Mac i/o
You would of course need a mic preamp.
The onboard mic on iMacs and such can be useful for comparative measurements. e.g. Move a speaker or listener position, such mics will show better or worse.
DD
Old 25th February 2012
Here for the gear

DD, thank you for the link to Bozo test tones. I've already downloaded it. I'm going to give it a listen in a minute. Still I'd love to install some software and make use of my new behringer
I had never any bigger experince with acoustics before. Just been working in already treated studio, never bothered too much how it's been done. But the more I'm reading about acoustics now, the more I'm getting interested in it Want to make my measurements

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search