Setting up two pairs of speakers
Old 10th January 2012
Gear nut

Setting up two pairs of speakers

I'm thinking about picking up a pair of NS 10s to accompany my Mackie HR24 old version monitors, but am not sure how to do this with my current set up.

Set up

Mackies XLR to Quarter inch -> L/R Mbox 3 Mini -> USB to PC

My mbox mini 3 is also my soundcard

I do film composition so gear isn't a necessity, I'd like to be able to AB between monitors. It would be nice to spend under $100.

Old 10th January 2012
Gear maniac

Just for reference, but you typically show signal flow from source out (i.e. from computer to interface to speaker). In other words: PC/USB -> L/R Mbox 3 Mini -> 1/4" to XLR to Mackies.

With regard to being able to A/B monitors, I'd suggest a monitor manager/switcher. There are a couple in your price range (Behringer & Samson) that should adequate meet your needs and give you some extra features you may or may not need at some point.

Also, don't forget the NS10s will need a power amp to drive them since they're not internal amplified (powered). Given the amount of money you're looking at spending, it makes me wonder if something like the Focusrite VRM box might serve you well. It allows you to test your mix on a variety of monitors through headphones (by virtual modeling). Just a thought.

Hope this helps.
Old 10th January 2012
Jack of all Trades
^ What he said, but I would shoot for a pretty good monitor control, because it will effect the sound of both speakers running threw it. If you get a ****ty one, it could end up making both your speakers sound not so appealing.

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search