The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vocal/AC Booth: Will this work?
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Nut

Vocal/AC Booth: Will this work?

Hi all,

I have a problem.
I recently moved to another location and my wive gave me the largest room in the house for our studio (she is a singer-songwriter) and I am (was...) very happy with that.
At our last location before this one, we used to record in the control room. No messing around with booths etc.

The problem we have right now is that there is a road near our house and we get some traffic noices in our room.
They are at very low volume but high enough to notice during recording.
They ain't a problem for mixing.
Thats why I started thinking about building some kind of vocal booth.
I read a lot of threads and info about this and I know it isn't the most ideal situation (due to the smalle size) but I'm afraid its the only solution for our situation.

I have made some drawings to plan the design and I hope to find out if its going to do what I'm hoping for (reducing the traffic noices).
I'm planning to use the booth for vocals and acoustic guitar recordings.

Is this going to do some good, will it be useless or am I going to make it even worse?

Thanks in advance :-)

Vocal/AC Booth: Will this work?-booth-bovenaanzicht.jpg

Vocal/AC Booth: Will this work?-booth-.jpg
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Jeast,

Take some measurements to find out what levels of annoyance you currently have, then build accordingly. Look at ir761 (link on my publications page) and find the partition that will give you what you need & build that.

ie; page 19 shows STC32 for:
1 single layer of 13 mm type X gypsum board
2 90 mm wood studs at 406 mm on centre
3 90 mm of blown cellulose fibre insulation in cavity
4 single layer of 13 mm type X gypsum board

Good luck!
Cheers,
John
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Nut

Hello John,

Thank you for your advice, yes I've read a lot of information on your website.
I'm afraid that when I place another layer of gypsum inside the booth (thus need to place a lot more trapping inside) will decrease the space I have inside a lot. Thats why I was hoping to suffice with only 1 layer. I have to find a way to increase the booth size a little.
Thanks again!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search