The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ceiling Isolation Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Ceiling Isolation

I am helping a friend redo his control room and another booth type room. We have good isolation between the walls but nothing to the upstairs. Its a very pro home studio. We realize we won't ever get amazing isolation since the walls are not decoupled and we have no desire to go that far. The question is how far to go with the ceiling. (11" ceiling finished)

I was thinking it may be best to just add density in between the floor joists. Like 2 layers of drywall with green glue between them. Then fluffy insulation, then a drywall finish ceiling with a cloud.

Is there really any reason to do more then this since we are limited already with decoupling?

Thanks

Also, if anyone has any pictures that would help us that would be great.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeurloo View Post
....I was thinking it may be best to just add density in between the floor joists. Like 2 layers of drywall with green glue between them. Then fluffy insulation, then a drywall finish ceiling with a cloud.
Good idea! That would probably do very well... except I don't recommend using Green Glue there. You are fine with drywall only. If you want improvement over the added mass, simply use resilient clips for the ceiling drywall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeurloo View Post
Is there really any reason to do more then this since we are limited already with decoupling?
I can't say as I really don't know what you have. do you have a drawing to post?

Cheers,
John
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hey John thanks for your answers.

I don't have any pics of the room. But the walls are just normal home construction. We got good isolation between the side walls because we built additional walls on the out side of the CR walls. But the CR walls are left as initially built. We will have to demo the current ceiling and add to it.

We could use resilient channel. This is the kind of thing I wondered if it would be worth it. Since there is no way to decouple the new ceiling from the existing sidewalls. Or is there?
Old 19th September 2011
I would look into the Peacemaker rubber insulation from Audiomute. Place it on the current ceiling before drywalling and even another layer in between the drywall. It's $1.60 per sq ft.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Looks like a green glue kind of thing. Anyone actually have success using it?
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

I wouldn't recommend it. Go with the resilient channel or clips. THEY have independent testing data.
Cheers,
John

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbrandt View Post
I wouldn't recommend it. Go with the resilient channel or clips. THEY have independent testing data.
What can I write other than +1!?

Andre
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

ok so its pretty simple.

1. Double layers of 5/8 drywall in between the joists.

2. Caulk the seems

3. Stuff the joist with Pink Fluffy (not to tight).

4. use resilient channel to hang 1 layer of Drywall for the finished ceiling.

Now for a few more questions.

1. Should I hang 2 layers of drywall off of the resilient channel? I will need some clouds hung as well so not sure how much weight they can really hold.

2. what is the best way for the ceiling to meet/join with the side walls since they are no decoupled from the floor above?

Thank you so far for clear answers!
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

First determine which or who's channel or clips you are going to use then look up the installation instructions and data page. It will tell you the optimal loading and max weight that it will hold. Build accordingly.

Cheers,
John
Old 20th September 2011
b0b
Gear Maniac

I’m sorry to hijack the thread but I’m facing the same problem and I just have a quick question. Do metal studs do the same as resilient channels on their own or would you also need resilient channels when using metal studs?
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0b View Post
I’m sorry to hijack the thread but I’m facing the same problem and I just have a quick question. Do metal studs do the same as resilient channels on their own or would you also need resilient channels when using metal studs?
Then do not.

See this thread.

Andre
Old 21st September 2011
b0b
Gear Maniac

Thank you Andre! I thought the information might interest and benefit the OP, that's why I didn't start a new thread...
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

dandeurloo,

NOTE: When you install a ceiling on res channel, hangers, or clips, DO NOT let it touch the WALLS. Leave about 1/2 inch or 1cm all around so that it 'floats'.
Stuff backer rod in the crack and caulk with a butyl rubber caulk or acoustic caulk.

Cheers,
John
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

John great stuff! I always wondered how to do that. Do you know of any good pictures or reading on how that is properly done?

Thanks again guys for all the very clear answers!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search