The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My DIY Desk Dynamics Plugins
Old 19th September 2011
  #1
Gear Nut
 

My DIY Desk (now with Bass Traps!)

By DIY... what I mean is paying my handyman for him to build it. Still have to add trim, paint, and stain.

Old 20th September 2011
  #2
Gear Nut
 

Trim work is complete. Next up is painting and staining.

Old 20th September 2011
  #3
Lives for gear
 
EricF's Avatar
 

Looking very nice!!
Old 20th September 2011
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Looking good. Did you do all the measurements and design or just give him a sketch and let him work out the details?
Old 20th September 2011
  #5
Gear Nut
 

It was kind of an improvised approach. I gave hom a picture of what i was looking for... Then we mocked it up on paper, then sketched it onto the MDF. The rest was all him.
Old 21st September 2011
  #6
Gear Maniac
 

nice!
Old 21st September 2011
  #7
Gear Nut
 

She's coming along nicely... 2 coats of low-sheen black paint on the sides. Next up, staining the wood an English Chestnut color.



Old 21st September 2011
  #8
Gear Nut
 

Looks very good. Looking forward to the final product! Can you post materials used and cost of materials once you are finished?
Old 21st September 2011
  #9
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacamar View Post
Looks very good. Looking forward to the final product! Can you post materials used and cost of materials once you are finished?
Will do... off the top of my head, he used the following:

2 sheets MDF
1 sheet Oak Veneer plywood
Various scraps of wood I had laying around for support.

I'll take some more detailed pics tonight. I also have some pics of the initial cuts that he did... I think total cost of materials was around $250 and that includes all the primer, paint, stain, brushes, etc...

That cost, however, also includes a bunch of 1x2's which I'll be using to make frames for bass traps. Also, I'll be using the leftover wood and MDF to build two DIY monitor stands.

His labor is $30/hour. It took him almost a day to do... so figure around $240 in labor. Would have been much quicker if he had plans. I'm guessing in the end it will end up costing between $400-$450.
Old 21st September 2011
  #10
Gear Nut
 

I just called my guy... I was wrong on some of the stuff I just posted.

MDF = $60 (2 sheets at $30/sheet)
Oak Veneer Plywood = $40 (1 sheet)
Stain/Primer/Paint/Materials = $80
Labor ~ $240
Total Cost ~ $420

I do have leftover ply and MDF to make 2 Monitor stands.
Old 23rd September 2011
  #11
Gear Nut
 

Stain and one coat of poly so far... here is an updated pic. We've also constructed monitor stands. They're not actually assembled yet... I stained and painted the individual pieces... and sort of mocked one up in the second picture, but the bottom base is not in the pic becuase it was still drying.



Old 23rd September 2011
  #12
Here for the gear
 

Wow, beatiful coat! Can't wait to see this baby holding up that gear
Old 23rd September 2011
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Naugo's Avatar
 

Yess this thread is sick, i want to make my own desk too... And if i could do something that nice for $500 i think I'm gonna start drawing up some plans...

Mines gonna have to have a slide out keyboard tray though
Old 24th September 2011
  #14
Gear Nut
 

If you're handy and can build it yourself, it'll run you like $250. I'd recommend maybe using a better piece of wood for the top. Mine has some imperfections and a few parts where the stain didn't take all that well. Overall though, I'm pretty pleased.
Old 24th September 2011
  #15
Gear Nut
 

Getting there. Next up... bass traps and finishing off the monitor stands. Need neoprene or something to put between the speaker and the top of the stand.

Oh... and a matching lava lamp for the other side.



Old 24th September 2011
  #16
Lives for gear
 

Very nice, makes me wanna build something
Old 25th September 2011
  #17
Gear Maniac
 

neat!! :D
Old 25th September 2011
  #18
Gear Nut
 

Looks great! Thanks for the materials/cost estimates. Did your handyman draw up any plans he used to build this? Would be quite interested in how it's put together.
Old 28th September 2011
  #19
Gear Nut
 

So I built 4 of these tonight... I plan on building 4 more in addition to floor to ceiling superchunks in two of my corners. They're standard 4" Owens Corning 703 bass traps. I plan on mounting them a couple inches off the wall in addition to the space that is there by default with the 1"x2" frame.

1) But I have a few questions... If you look in the very first picture I posted in this thread, I have a closet that is angled into the corner of the room. In that closet I have my circuit breaker and basically nothing else. Is it possible to put a few bass traps in the closet with the true 90 degree corner? Would they be effective?

2) To the right of my seating position, I have a large window. Normally, I would treat this area as it is a reflection point. The window is angled towards the floor, so the reflection should (theoretically) miss my ears. I was considering making one of my traps on a stand to place there during mixing, but I'm not sure it's necessary if the reflection isn't hitting ear position. Thoughts?

Old 28th September 2011
  #20
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee3 View Post
So I built 4 of these tonight... I plan on building 4 more in addition to floor to ceiling superchunks in two of my corners. They're standard 4" Owens Corning 703 bass traps. I plan on mounting them a couple inches off the wall in addition to the space that is there by default with the 1"x2" frame.

1) But I have a few questions... If you look in the very first picture I posted in this thread, I have a closet that is angled into the corner of the room. In that closet I have my circuit breaker and basically nothing else. Is it possible to put a few bass traps in the closet with the true 90 degree corner? Would they be effective?

2) To the right of my seating position, I have a large window. Normally, I would treat this area as it is a reflection point. The window is angled towards the floor, so the reflection should (theoretically) miss my ears. I was considering making one of my traps on a stand to place there during mixing, but I'm not sure it's necessary if the reflection isn't hitting ear position. Thoughts?
You might wanna re-post this a separate thread with a more related title. Greater chance of getting the acoustic pros to chime in who might overlook a diy desk thread.

I would think with 2) you still wanna treat it, you might not be getting direct reflections but there will still be secondary ones.
Old 28th September 2011
  #21
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
You might wanna re-post this a separate thread with a more related title. Greater chance of getting the acoustic pros to chime in who might overlook a diy desk thread.

I would think with 2) you still wanna treat it, you might not be getting direct reflections but there will still be secondary ones.
Yeah, thanks... I was trying not to spam the board. But you're right.
Old 13th October 2011
  #22
Gear Nut
 

Somebody had asked to see some pics of how this was built... I don't have many, but these may give you some idea.







And the finished product:

Old 13th October 2011
  #23
Gear Head
 

Beautiful... like the others said... this makes me want to build something lol
Old 13th October 2011
  #24
Gear Addict
 

Good job, I started to build my desk but got side-tracked and stained my deck... err, I need to get back to the studio build and this has inspired me. Thanks
Old 13th October 2011
  #25
Gear Nut
 

Yes... I have a swingset awaiting staining. I had my priorities straight. tutt
Old 13th October 2011
  #26
your studio looks sexy as f**k! really love the dark walls and lighting and of course the desk. I wish you much inspiration in that room...good work...wish i had the space to do this
Old 14th October 2011
  #27
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev herb View Post
your studio looks sexy as f**k! really love the dark walls and lighting and of course the desk. I wish you much inspiration in that room...good work...wish i had the space to do this
I had to sacrifice my billiard room... so the pool table is disassembled and hidden away in the closet. I'll get much more use (and satisfaction) out of the studio. Once the kids are grown, the pool table will go on their side of the basement.
Old 28th October 2011
  #28
Lives for gear
 

I noticed you put some little feet things on the desk. What are they and where did you get em?
Old 28th October 2011
  #29
Gear Nut
 

Those little feet things were temporary sliders from Home Depot that just helped me slide it around my room easily.
Old 25th July 2012
  #30
Here for the gear
 

You wouldn't happen to remember the dimensions to this table? This is exactly the style I have been looking for.
Top Mentioned Products
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump