The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Software for drawing simple sketches and floor plans
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Software for drawing simple sketches and floor plans

What software are you guys using to draw simple sketches and floor plans? I know there's Google Sketchup for sophisticated 3d designs. I downloaded it and honestly am a bit intimidated by it. I think I need something easier to use. It doesn't need to look as fancy as Google Sketchup.

One thing I want to do sometimes is add some arrows or comments to a jpg or gif picture. This really shouldn't be a big deal but I can't do it in Photoshop and it's very clumsy to do in Powerpoint.

I know there's a lot of freeware drawing software out there, but instead of downloading and trying out stuff arbitrarily I thought I'd ask here.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermudaben View Post
What software are you guys using to draw simple sketches and floor plans? I know there's Google Sketchup for sophisticated 3d designs. I downloaded it and honestly am a bit intimidated by it. I think I need something easier to use. It doesn't need to look as fancy as Google Sketchup.

One thing I want to do sometimes is add some arrows or comments to a jpg or gif picture. This really shouldn't be a big deal but I can't do it in Photoshop and it's very clumsy to do in Powerpoint.

I know there's a lot of freeware drawing software out there, but instead of downloading and trying out stuff arbitrarily I thought I'd ask here.
It is hard to get simpler than Sketchup. Work through the tutorials and you will be flying.

Andre
Old 18th September 2011
jrp
Lives for gear

i use paint... It is simpler than sketchup.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

visio should be a good fit
comes with ms office (some versions)
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear
even though you've specifically asked for software, you may also consider hand drawing. grab a 0.6mm and 0.3mm artline pen, some blank paper and a roll of yellow trace from your local art supplies

from a sketching point of view nothing beats that combination. the yellow trace allows you to trace multiple layouts over your first drawing so you can try multiple options in a very short time. as you move forward with your design, every time you hit a point where you need to explore other options you grab your yellow trace and do some more overlays.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
It is hard to get simpler than Sketchup. Work through the tutorials and you will be flying.

Andre
Sketchup is fantastic. Beats Paint for sure in terms of capabilities.

Very simple drawings can be done quickly using rectangles and lines, but as soon as you want to do something more than a simple drawing, you need to invest between a couple of days and a week to learn using it properly (at a minimum use components) and efficiently (at least use keyboard shortcuts). Mastering most features takes a while.

Yes pencil and paper very useful too, at least to write down room and room detail dimensions once for all ...
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Maniac

MS Paint?? You must be kidding me

Visio? Not included in my 2003 version of MS Office. 330 Euro for the cheapest 2010 version???

I'll definitely look into Google Sketchup as soon as I have more time. But I'm in the middle of building my project studio and really don't want to lose a week learning Sketchup...

What would you recommend for adding text and auto shapes (arrows, brackets, etc.) to images? Photoshop is very limited in terms of shapes.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear
MS paint!!

i was going to suggest it also but jrp had already mentioned it.

i use revit, acad, sketchup, max, photoshop, illustrator professionally.

for everything you've said MS paint will cover.

or, sharpen a pencil and do it old school if you don't have time to learn the software.
Old 18th September 2011
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Addict

Well, if you are really desperate and can't make/find the time to learn Sketchup then what about the drawing capabilities of MS Word...? Can draw lines, dimension them, draw simple shapes, make things a specific size.

Perhaps just set the paper size to A3 and use the Drawing Canvas (otherwise objects may sometimes move relative to one another...).
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkor View Post
Seconded... much easier for me than sketchup... no reading of manuals or watching of tutorials needed.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Sketchup might seem hard, but it is really simple once you get the basics down. Plus people like Andre use it and know it well so when you run into design issues they can help you out really easily by editing your sketchup file.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

i dont use sketchup, BUT pretty much everyone else here does, so they can modify your plans, etc.... plus there is a giant library of free 3d objects in the google warehouse -i use a program called chief architect (spillover from my day job)

gl
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disjointed View Post
i dont use sketchup, BUT pretty much everyone else here does, so they can modify your plans, etc.... plus there is a giant library of free 3d objects in the google warehouse -i use a program called chief architect (spillover from my day job)

gl
Sweet Home 3D will also import in different objects. I've attached an image of my small 10x16 shed/studio rendering created in Sweet Home just so you can see what it's capable of.
Attached Thumbnails
Software for drawing simple sketches and floor plans-studio_render1.jpg  
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

ok sweet home looks nice....
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezballs View Post
Sweet Home 3D will also import in different objects. I've attached an image of my small 10x16 shed/studio rendering created in Sweet Home just so you can see what it's capable of.
Cute! I'll definitely check it out.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Now I only need some time to sit down and see what is the right option for me.
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear
from

Quote:
what is the right option for me.
to

preparing an unsymmetrical room

took about 20min dl incl.

regards
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Its hard to beat simple graph paper, a straight edge, pencils, and erasers. Sometimes the occasional cocktail napkin too.
Old 23rd September 2011
Here for the gear

I recommend watching a few videos on Sketchup and dedicating yourself to it. Once you're comfortable with it, you'll be able to start with 2D drawings and then turn them 3D if you decide you want to. That said, if you're on a PC then Paint is good for very basic sketches.

Good Luck.
Old 27th September 2011
Here for the gear
This may sound strange, but I used a PC video game known as The Sims 2 to draw a fantastic layout of my newest endeavor complete with furnishings. I even downloaded a 3rd party patch that enabled me to place a brand new Mac Pro on the desk in my control room. It is certainly not the best 3D rendering program, but when you're done building, you can create a sim just like you and move him/her in and they'll tell you (in a sense) if they like the place or not. It's also fun to boink the maid. - cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search