The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Soundproof small pets room? Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 16th September 2011
Here for the gear

Soundproof small pets room?

Hi guys, quite a unique (simple?) question here I think...

Was wondering how to lower the sounds getting to the bedroom so that my wife & I can sleep at night. We have a few indoor cats, and keep them in a 5 by 6 foot room overnight (the room has a run in it to outside...but still doesn't stop them from coming in, getting hyper/playing/fighting/scratching in the room lol).

Would like to sound proof the cats room (floor = suspended wood). We don't need to completely eliminate the sounds, just make them quieter. Also since this is just a cats room, didn't want to spend more than what's reasonable.

The main issues are probably high pitched meowing (the occasional fight), and impact sounds/scratching.

From what I've read, with small spaces it's better to increase the mass, rather than worrying about other things? Was going to put 2-3 layers of drywall up, but then thought about making my own concrete walls and maybe putting one layer of drywall over that?

Also, for the floor, the house is in the process of having wet underfloor heating installed by myself, so for the cats room I was going to simply poor the concrete floor (2-3" thick), and tile over (this should greatly reduce sound)...should I put wood + rubber mat over the concrete aswell before tiling or would that be over-kill?

I know all that probably sounds crazy, but I'm pretty good with DIY (well, the house is still standing!). Would really appreciate any feedback, thanks a lot!
Attached Thumbnails
Soundproof small pets room?-plan-cats-room.jpg  
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm still kind of tripping out that you have a cat's room. heh

So you're not even trying to record? This is just for your bedroom? I would think a concrete wall would be more than enough, unless your cats are large mountain cats or something, then I would also recommend electric fences....
Old 16th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.c. View Post
I'm still kind of tripping out that you have a cat's room. heh

So you're not even trying to record? This is just for your bedroom? I would think a concrete wall would be more than enough, unless your cats are large mountain cats or something, then I would also recommend electric fences....
Haha, yeah...don't ask :P

Well, no I'm not recording (love music) but figured this would be a good place to start since I've seen some good posts on here! Yeah it's for the "cats room" lol

Thanks for the response ...so do you reckon 2" thick walls would do the trick? I'm guessing that the concrete/tiled floor would be enough (no need for extras)...
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Most people here are trying to flatten frequency response and the largest culprit is usually the long low frequency waves. Blocking higher frequency material (like a cat screaming) should be relatively easy and not require quite as much. I'm not sure how absorbent a 2" wall would be (material dependent of course), but I am confident if it's cement you're probably not going to hear much in the way of cat fighting.

If a raccoon gets in, that might be a different story...
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search