The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Industrial materials in my bedroom. Good or Bad ?
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

Industrial materials in my bedroom. Good or Bad ?

Ok. I've read every single thread on GS about this topic but have yet to come across anything that answers my questions exactly. Therefore, I thought it might be of use to me , and possibly others if the topic of " Experiences with homemade absorber panels" is expanded somewhat further.

Th thing is, on the indirect advice of people in the know, both on GS , internet in general, friends, I decided to go and get the materials needed to make some absorbers. The construction itself is fine I think , they absorb sound. I'm happy enough with that. However, when I got reading about the possible health issues with being in close proximity (forget the handling part) to Rockwool day in day out, it got me thinking.

For one. The cancer thing. Some people say it's crap, others give info that would disprove that. On that point it seems to be a case of " it's contained properly and not messed about with , it aint going to give you lung cancer". So, I'm ok with that.

Secondly though. What about issues with allergy. I have a dust allergy and I do feel a little bit manky and sniffly. However, I am unsure whether this is due to handling the rock wool yesterday or whether it is working/sleeping next to the panels.........Yes, sleeping. That's my third point. Does having your recording space, living space, sleeping space all combined in one room change the way you should approach room treatment, or at least the materials used in the construction of each different element?

The type of rock wool I bought as well appears to be the most flaky type. It seems really brittle and takes very little for it fall into pieces. I have however taken further precautions and have wrapped each chunk of RW in polyethylene wrapping (plus cloth type stuff on exterior of frame.) .............which brings me to my next point. Does polyethylene give off any fumes? because my room stinks of the stuff and I've got one hell of a headache.

Anyway, there you have it. Got some nice panels installed, they have the desired sonic effects but also appear to have some undesired health effects as well. I am particularly sensitive to dust and fumes but ye, what would be your thoughts on this issue ? I don't really want to get rid of the stuff but would be open to refilling the frames with alternative insulation material . I suppose the first thing would be to clean the **** out of everything, open all windows, air the **** out of everything, live with it for a week, then see the situation is.

I was just wondering though whether any of you have had similar experiences, either positive or negative. Thanks.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

Thanks. Doesn't really answer any of my questions though.

Those threads just discuss whether fibreglass is carcinogenic, which as I stated, am less worried about, due to the fact there appears to be no definitive answer.

I'm wondering about the particulars of polyethylene(fumes)/alpharock/bedroom/allergy combination.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search