The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Diffusion or Absorption ?
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

Diffusion or Absorption ?

I use a living room with 15' vaulted ceilings and cement floors (20x16') for tracking. The room is relatively okay, meaning no audible flutters or terrible reflections.

It is just kind of splatty and seems to lack low end (or have too much high end). I notice this with drums mostly, quieter instruments aren't effected as much.

Would my money be better spent on diffusion or absorption?

I was planning on building some sort of cloud to go over the two main parts of the room I use for tracking.

Thoughts?
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

When the ceiling height is greater then approx. 4,5 - 5 meters, one can use diffusion without worrying about reflections arriving too soon so you can use 1D or 2D depending on what kind of response you want to achieve (1D gives more options to control the direction of scattered energy). You naturally need to make measurements to check what your space needs in terms of absorption, especially if modal problems exist.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Guru

You would probably end up using both to balance out the room. The problem with diffusion is it is not cheap nor easy to build, so it really comes down to budget, skill level and time you have to build it.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

Thank you for your posts Jens and Glenn!

Glenn, I was actually planning on starting out spending about $500 to $600 on some of your products.

I bought some mineral fiber insulation a few years back that I have made a few panels out of already. They are not rigid so I would like to use those in a cloud over my mixing position.

Focusing on the tracking room, what would you recommend to start with? I understand $500 isn't much but it's a start.

Thanks again!
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Guru

In general with a budget at $600 I would stick with 244 and 242 panels to start off. But with that said I would welcome you to email me as much info about your room as you can so we can work with you to give you the best solution for your budget. The best way to give us your info is through this page.
GIK Acoustics: Room Setup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search