The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Killing Fultter in a Small Room
Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

Killing Fultter in a Small Room

Hey,

I'm looking to murder the Flutter in my small music room.

I've been reading a little about acoustics and I'm a little overwhelmed.

I'm fairly confident in my ability to make absorbtion panels with rigid fiberglass, but I want to get a few recommendations before I go buying/building them with no plans.

The room is roughly an 8'-9' CUBE! I just moved into a rental house and this is the only room I can use. I mostly want to do small recording in here. There was a closet with sliding doors on the same wall the door is on, but I took down the doors. So now it is a crevice taking up most of one wall with several shelves and equipment in it. Opposite that I have a small window 2' from the floor and ending 2' from the ceiling. My computer desk is a corner desk in the window corner. the floor is carpeted and the ceiling has a fan on it. So other than the floor, everything is painted drywall.

This small terrible room, I'm sure, has many terrible acoustic properties to it. But I think the major problem I want to really get at would be the flutter.

Just for fun, I put up a length of fleece fabric I had lying around. I just put 2 small nails into the corners. It spans from ceiling, down to about 2 feet shy of the carpet, and all the way across one wall. It is very thin and I'm sure it isnt doing much. Although, I'd like to believe it does sound a VERY little less fluttery when clapping.

Opinion time...

I understand this is terrible, but I'd like to know what you think I could do. I dont think I'd mind making it a dead room, but also dont want to break the bank with covering it ENTIRELY.

So tell me how unreasonable I may be. I'm an amateur looking for some advice, gimme hell!

THANK YOU! to anyone willing to help me out!
~Bill L.
Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

Killing flutter is not that difficult. But to decide whether to go with absorption or with diffusion will need an acoustic measurement.
As you described your room I'm pretty sure that the flutter is NOT your major problem
A piece of Basotect should do the job, but thats more like a drop in the bucket.
There is no sense in killing the flutter without regarding at what happens at other frequencies...
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

The Auralex class foam in at least 2'x2' squares hung on the ceiling is one of the only effective products they make for this condition. My studio tuning is mostly handled by OC 703 and Knauf Ecose in fair amounts, but the bare spots are usually what's left and the foam will fix that quickly. I've got 6 2'x2' panels fairly symetrically on my 12'x14' ceiling...where flutter loves to live, and it works even though I have a fairly live floor surface with only half covered by a spot rug/soft chair.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search