The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Room treatment for attic Condenser Microphones
Old 13th September 2011
Here for the gear

Room treatment for attic

Hi everyone! I'm fairly new to the forums and to the audio business in general, but I'd really like to go professional, so I've done a lot of reading up and I was feeling bold enough to post this here instead of on the newbie board. So here goes!

First of all I'd like to thank you all for the amazing wealth of information on this forum! It's great to see people helping each other. I'm sure that once I've learned enough to have something to add I'll definitely join the discussion and try to give something back!

Now of course I'm here to enlist the help of all you guys in making me a better sound engineer! :P I hope you don't mind long posts... :D

I'm trying to convert my bedroom into a proper mixing environment. I've bought some gear, so the next step would be fixing the room. I've got some ideas for the room treatment, but since its an attic I'm not sure if I'm doing this right. It's kinda hard to find good info on treating a room this shape, even on these boards. I've recently done a summer course in audio engineering at the London School of Sound and asked some advice from the people there. They gave me some good ideas, but I'd like to run them by you guys first. I thought since I'm asking for help the least I could do is make the effort of doing a sketchup render of my ideas, so here's what came out of that.

Theres a door (and a wall of course) where the dude is standing in that render. All the treatment would be symmetrical of course.

Heres a render without all the clutter except the desk. No I dont own a desk like that, but i thought it looked cool :D

As you can see, it's a fairly small room (4.5x3.5m) with some weird features, mainly the alcove on the right side. The left and right walls are just thin wood, maybe an inch thick and theres just empty crawlspace behind that. The window is giving some issues too, but I have no idea how to really fix that...

This is a room measurement I took with REW and an NT2-A (in a relatively empty, untreated room).

First I wanted to put 10 or 15cm of rockwool behind those wooden panels, depending on whats needed.
Since this is also my bedroom I wanted to move my bed into that alcove and put the desk on the other side so I can get some space between the speakers and the wall.
Then theres the first reflection points, where I was gonna put up some DIY rockwool panels as well. Next would be the absorption at the top of the room, where the roof joins (there has to be a name for that...?).

Because of the slanted roof behind the mix position I was told it would probably be best to put up some diffusion there, so I decided to build some skyline diffusers. That seemed easy enough at least and they look really cool.

I want to DIY most of this stuff, but since I've never done this before and am not entirely sure about it all.

First of all, does any of this make sense? Am I on the right track?

About the diffusers; is that any good? I'm gonna be pretty close to them (about 1.5m). I made that model in sketchup from QRDude, but for me it's just guesswork anyway. Right now I have planned for four N13 panels made of 5x5cm wood studs (that would be 2"x2" if I'm not mistaken :D), making one diffuser 65x65cm. That would fit nicely at least.
Would it make more sense to make a big one, like N23 and split it up in the middle? Or should i go smaller to N7 or N11? And the absorption I put next to that in the render above, is that any good or should I leave that out?

About the DIY absorption panels:
I was gonna make them 100x60x10cm from rockwool (local shop sells Rockwool 202, not sure if thats good enough...) with wooden framing, but I could easily go 15cm if needed. If I space them about 5-10cm off the wall, would 10cm of rockwool be good enough?
And how about the holes on the side of the panels; would it be better to build something like this (or maybe this) or like this, with the solid sides?

Then last but not least; can or should I do any additional trapping? Will I need it? I was thinking about some of those superchunks in the corners on the right side of the room, or maybe some extra diffusion to the sides behind the mixing position (so thats also on the right side of the room). Maybe something clever with membrane absorbers? (I have no idea what i'm on about :D)

Anyway, enough with the questions for now. This post is long enough as it is. I thought I'd just try the shotgun approach and just fire all questions at once and hope for the best!

I'll take some pictures once I start building and hopefully this thread can then help someone else out who has the same questions!
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Because of the slanted roof behind the mix position I was told it would probably be best to put up some diffusion there, so I decided to build some skyline diffusers. That seemed easy enough at least and they look really cool.
The diffusion to me seems to close. I would go with absorption.

Quote:
Then last but not least; can or should I do any additional trapping? Will I need it? I was thinking about some of those superchunks in the corners on the right side of the room, or maybe some extra diffusion to the sides behind the mixing position (so thats also on the right side of the room). Maybe something clever with membrane absorbers? (I have no idea what i'm on about :D)
The superchunks sound like a great idea.
Old 14th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
The diffusion to me seems to close. I would go with absorption.
Aww, I was looking forward to building those! :D QRdude said the minimum would be 1.16m, but it does seem kinda close.
Ah well, at least it'll be done faster. heh

What about the window though? In the REW screenshot theres 2 graphs, one with window open, one closed. Theres a definite dip around 100 Hz when the window is closed. The comb filtering also seems a lot worse. Any ideas how to solve this? It would be nice to have some sunlight in the room...
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Guru

I would just put a 4" to 6" panel over it. Or keep it open?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search