The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
building a home studio on a student budget
Old 13th September 2011
Here for the gear

building a home studio on a student budget

Hey,

basically im looking at creating a environment i can record in at my student flat (so any reconstruction to the room is not really a possibility as i don't think my landlord would be keen)

some of the problems are firstly the room its very lively with either pasterboard walls or one brick one which my kit is facing, another is part of the room give a real quick reverb creating an almost robot like sound, i can't do any form of reconstruction and also my funds are limited due to the fact im a student living in london

at the moment my set up looks like this

Drum Stuff | Facebook

think that link should work (the last photos are how my kit is currently)

any advise would be much appreciated

Thanks
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Guru

Set up correctly, bass traps and panels for reflections. See more here
Acoustic Primer. GIK Acoustics. Acoustic Panels and Bass Traps.
Old 14th September 2011
jrp
Lives for gear

find a cheap deal on mineral wool with the correct airflow resistance (5 p-whatsitscalled?) for traps/broadband absorbers at least 30cm deep.
Give up as much space as you can for those. It will greatly improve, making the sound more dry and tighter.
This will be the cheapest way. You can pack the wool into thin foil and then cover it anyway you like. Don´t get too much, maybe you find that just a few absorbers will be decent for you.
Corners react very well on treatment.
Don´t forget the ceiling!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search