The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
studio acoustics set-up w/pictures Bass Traps
Old 12th September 2011
Here for the gear

studio acoustics set-up w/pictures

Hey all, I need some general guidance/feedback as to where my problem areas are likely to be acoustically as my room has a vocal booth built in...

Here is a diagram (TOP VIEW)

Also, the door is on the left of the picture.

The vocal booth is confusing me, otherwise I know I am supposed to place the bass traps directly behind the studio monitors (where it says CONSOLE) and some traps on the left and right of the mix position. However, where should I place more diffusors? Directly above the mix position (4'x4') and behind where the engineer will be sitting (bottom of picture)?

Also important to note, all the corners will be covered approximately 2' and filled with ultratouch R19 double stuffed acting as megatraps (from a post referral from gearslutz), so my only concern is the rest of the room.

Thanks a ton for any input. And I will be doing Room EQ tests before and after.
Old 12th September 2011
Here for the gear

Here are some pictures of the actual set-up:

Last edited by thefilmmaking; 12th September 2011 at 04:14 AM.. Reason: pics too large
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

here is one observation:

the vocal booth is problematic, if you only place diffusors on backwall, the lateral arriving diffuse reflections will primerarly come from the left.
If you are mixing in 5.1, then I think you should skip the traditional rfz room/LEDE approach (it was not developed for surround mixing).

What kind of diffusors do you have?
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

The vocal booth is small and will sound boxy. Unless it is necessary to isolate vocals removing the booth will give an easier shaped and better sounding room for both mixing and vocals.
Old 12th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
The vocal booth is small and will sound boxy. Unless it is necessary to isolate vocals removing the booth will give an easier shaped and better sounding room for both mixing and vocals.
We will be recording many voice-overs, so the booth was needed (and requested by one of the engineers we'd be working with), not to mention extremely expensive. Can we place something in the booth to fix the "boxiness"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsal
here is one observation:

the vocal booth is problematic, if you only place diffusors on backwall, the lateral arriving diffuse reflections will primerarly come from the left.
If you are mixing in 5.1, then I think you should skip the traditional rfz room/LEDE approach (it was not developed for surround mixing).

What kind of diffusors do you have?

We are thinking of placing QRD diffusors on the ceiling above the mix position as well as next to the booth directly behind the mix position. We won't be doing 5.1 anytime soon. Should we avoid the diffusion? And where else would the bass traps or "absorptive" foam be helpful?

Again, I really appreciate the feedback from you guys.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
We are thinking of placing QRD diffusors on the ceiling above the mix position as well as next to the booth directly behind the mix position. We won't be doing 5.1 anytime soon. Should we avoid the diffusion? And where else would the bass traps or "absorptive" foam be helpful?
You are going to want to use absorption in those areas. More here about early reflection points.
What Are Early Reflection Points. Acoustic Panels and Bass Traps.
Old 12th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
You are going to want to use absorption in those areas. More here about early reflection points.
What Are Early Reflection Points. Acoustic Panels and Bass Traps.
Thank you sir. So would you suggest 4" 703 traps with sealed backs attached to walls and ceiling with no spacing (for broadband Absorption rather than bass trap alone - as i understand it). And from the article, i found one of my reflection points ends up where the booth is, so i should put these "broadband" absorbers all over the booth walls?

So in this case, i end up avoiding any diffuser panels because of the vocal booths interference? Just wAnt to make sure im correct. Thanks again.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thank you sir. So would you suggest 4" 703 traps with sealed backs attached to walls and ceiling with no spacing
Actually you want the backs open and space off the wall the ceiling if possible.
Old 14th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
Actually you want the backs open and space off the wall the ceiling if possible.
I'll do 4" and 4" spacing as you suggested in another thread.

As for the booth, should I cover the entire booth's exterior with 4" auralex wedge foam? Or would it better to use 4" 703 attached with no spacing (since the spacing will cause it to sit out way too much)?

thanks again.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Guru

I would go with the 703 at 4"
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear
Have you considered placing something the exact dimensions as the booth, but mirroring on the other side? You could use it for a closet or another booth if you thought you might use it.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear
And heres a question for anyone that i have,

If you scroll up and look at the booth, there is a gap of a foot or two above it. Wouldn't that be hell for low especially, but all frequencys really getting trapped in there?
Old 14th September 2011
Here for the gear

Glenn, is there a reason the 703 would be preferable to the foam (aside from the cost benefits)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoRillo View Post
Have you considered placing something the exact dimensions as the booth, but mirroring on the other side? You could use it for a closet or another booth if you thought you might use it.
I've considered this, but we'd lose to much space in the room. I was thinking maybe acoustic curtains to come around in the shape of the booth for an engineer to use during final mixing, maybe? So it would close back up at other times. But I'm not sure if the costs will be worth the headache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoRillo View Post
If you scroll up and look at the booth, there is a gap of a foot or two above it. Wouldn't that be hell for low especially, but all frequencys really getting trapped in there?
I believe so, which is why we will be stuffing Ultratouch R19 throughout that area (up until where the small wooden moldings are on the ceiling in the picture). But we're probably going to space it out in order to better trap the lows (from my understanding).
Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

I have read through Avare's various postings regarding the ultratouch (r19 5.5" in my case) and understood that the high gas flow resistance is worse for corner trapping with these bonded logic batts. I already began construction and began cutting triangular wedges following the "superchunk" method before I read his postings. Here are pictures:

Should I simply abandon this method and just put one batt per wall, and one down the middle? Or how would I go about resolving this issue?
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefilmmaking View Post
Glenn, is there a reason the 703 would be preferable to the foam (aside from the cost benefits)?
Yes. OC703 does a better job.
Old 17th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
I have read through Avare's various postings regarding the ultratouch (r19 5.5" in my case) and understood that the high gas flow resistance is worse for corner trapping with these bonded logic batts. I already began construction and began cutting triangular wedges following the "superchunk" method before I read his postings. Here are pictures:

Should I simply abandon this method and just put one batt per wall, and one down the middle? Or how would I go about resolving this issue?
thx Eric.

Does anyone know whether it would be preferable to simply line the wall sides with the ultratouch r19 (instead of the superchunk method) and use 4" owens corning in the front, leaving the center hollow? We just got so many batches of the ultratouch based on a couple of threads, but Avare's posting regarding the high resistance issue has halted our progress (its much appreciated).
Old 20th September 2011
Here for the gear

For future reference, in case someone looks up the Ultratouch for corners (which I filled in all the top corners of the studio)... I ended up going the "pink" insulation (Owens Corning) superchunk method for the corners.

I wasn't getting much help from some of the others on here (aside from Glenn, thank you). Therefore, I decided I will do my own tests that will hopefully help others make better buying decisions, as I do not own an acoustic company. I will post up those results which will hopefully give those in need some more guidance.
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
I ended up going the "pink" insulation (Owens Corning) superchunk method for the corners.

I wasn't getting much help from some of the others on here (aside from Glenn, thank you).

I will post up those results which will hopefully give those in need some more guidance.
Thanks for your generous efforts

But please don't say one doesn't get help in this forum. There is a lot of information, which unfortunately takes time to gather and digest, probably because of the inherent complexity of Acoustics.

And for the same reason, none of the forum experts can give detailed guidance for a specific room, apart from mentionning the main principles (also mentionned in the stickies)
Old 21st September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhch View Post
Thanks for your generous efforts

But please don't say one doesn't get help in this forum. There is a lot of information, which unfortunately takes time to gather and digest, probably because of the inherent complexity of Acoustics.

And for the same reason, none of the forum experts can give detailed guidance for a specific room, apart from mentionning the main principles (also mentionned in the stickies)
I was actually referring to another thread I created (and a pm to a couple of members asking to give guidance on the posts, to help future "searchers" who don't get have concrete answers - by that I mean actual test results - as to the inherent issues with Ultratouch for bass trapping).

I appreciate all the info here, and some of these threads are either filled with foolish questions (where I understand the hostility towards new members), but some filled with snobbish answers. Or those that are completely ignored, even when trying to get info that will help the masses.

Either way, I appreciate all the members who gave guidance throughout this post, and hopefully in the future, some of these posts can help someone with these issues.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search