The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need some suggestions for my studio
Old 12th September 2011
Here for the gear

Need some suggestions for my studio

I've been reading through many threads regarding diffusers and how they can make a good studio a great studio. I've seen lots of pictures of the different types. In most of the pictures i do not see carpeted walls in other studios. I have carpeted my walls and ceiling. I have placed bass traps although I'm not sure correctly or in the right spots. I need help chosing the right kind or kinds of diffusers for my studio live room and control room. And any other suggestions. My control room is small 6 x 9. My profile shows the floor plan and pictures of my studio any and all comments are welcome. I'm open for any suggestions. The room sounds great. You can hear everything clearly in jams and i'm sure that will tranfer over to recordings. Private messages are ok as well.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Guru

Is this in feet? If so your room really a bit small for diffusion. I would get the carpet off the walls and ceiling as that is only eating up the high and and leaving the low end swimming in the room. See the following for a proper set up.
GIK Acoustics: Room Setup
Old 12th September 2011
Here for the gear

Yes the dimesnions are in feet. This is the garage to my home that has been converted. I've seen bedrooms turned into studios. This was a 20 x 20 garage. The carpet can not come down it was glued up and an expense I'm not going to eat. The room had to be sound proofed to keep sound from getting in to the house.

So If I understand you corectly I do not need difffusers because of the carpet on the walls and ceiling?
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinLen View Post
The room had to be sound proofed to keep sound from getting in to the house.
Diffusers and carpet affect how accurate the sound is within your studio but do nothing to help with isolation (soundproofing).

How much noise currently escapes? How much is acceptable? The answer will be in decibels. This chart may help, as will a sound pressure level (SPL) meter.

Is your studio attached to the house? Do the house and garage share the same foundation? These will help you work out whether there may be flanking paths.

What are the weak links? Do your doors, door seals, windows, HVAC (if you have one) or roof have the same mass as the garage's walls? These should help you work out where to focus your attention.

Beyond your house are there neighbours who might hear you just as easily? And what external noises do you want to isolate yourself from? Planes? Trains? Police sirens? Lawnmowers? Motorbikes? Kids kicking or hitting balls against the garage wall?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search