The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need Help Getting Rid of Resonant Peaks in Vocal Recording Single-Channel Preamps
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Head

Need Help Getting Rid of Resonant Peaks in Vocal Recording

Hi there guys, (hopefully this is the right area to post in)

I have a small project studio that I have recently treated pretty heavily (major constructions totally covering 3/4 walls with rockwool inside, was designed by a local acoustics/studio designer). I am recording with a Manley Reference Mic into a solo 610 preamp, with a reflexion filter. We make commercial, female vocal dance pop music (for style reference)

I notice that our vocal takes always seem to have little resonances in them, say a persistent whistling noise at around 2650hz, or 1880hz for example that stops the ingestion of the vocal. On the engineer side I know how to tame these with dynamic eq, but I feel that the recording suffers when I do this, as there's a quite fine line between "less harsh" and "less impact."

When I make loud noises in the room like a WOOOP!!, I hear some metallic resonance with a short decay coming from each piece of equipment (including the preamp itself, and my firewire interface). Has anyone experienced these kinds of resonances (though I don't know for sure that they are caused by the metal objects, it's just my only guess) or could it be something else?

Any help is appreciated!

Ross
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear
i have,

it was in the tracking room, fully treated, and with the bass guitar cranked. turned out to be a roller catch on the door was resonating. it was almost impossible for us to track down, we started by just removing gear piece by piece. then, someone shut the door and the sound went away, so we looked closer and realised it was the roller catch.

could be anything.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

thanks, glad to hear someone else dealing with this--i'm yelling around my room like a mad man throwing stuff out, and there always seems to be something critical (like my preamp) that does it too--like the ultimate betrayal, my PREAMP is doing it? come on!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search