The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
17 x 15 Plot of Land?
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Nut

17 x 15 Plot of Land?

Someone please talk some sense into me. I've got it in my head that it might be a good idea to build a little bunkie style "studio" in my back yard on a plot about 17' x 15'. It would basically be just for me to do mostly ITB recording (some simple acoustic and electric guitar as well) and ITB mixing. I've got some decent gear and I making great money these days. It would be nice to get out of my windowless basement that is 9' x 17'. I understand that I'd probably lose a foot and half on each wall but that still gives about the same amount of square footage. I know nothing about this kind of thing but I'd be willing to spend 30k - 50k on it if it wasn't totally a crazy idea.

Is that way under budget / not worth the time and money to build something that size? I wouldn't need a bathroom or running water. Just heat, electricity, internet. It would also need to be relatively sound proof but nothing too crazy. It's pretty quiet in my area.

Anyway, am I crazy? Maybe I should just put the money into my basement?
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

put your money in gold coins
if you are doing itb stick with the basement
or just buy a shed for the yard for a lot less
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Talk to a contractor and see how much it would look like. If thats your thing, and its what you enjoy, I would say go for it. Although with 50K, you could almost sell your house and buy a bigger one. If you have the money, and its what you really enjoy, who is to tell you otherwise what to do with your money?
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear
can you attach you new space to the existing house? that could be a positive outcome as it may assist resale value....

personally i think the natural light and ventilation is worth it. whether it's worth the cost in your situation is another question that i guess only you can know.

from the diy studios i've done the main focus has always bee nthe music but they end up doubling as listening rooms for cd/vinyl playback and the current one gets used for the xbox also. the current one really lacks a connection to the outside (due to exisitng conditions) and that does take something away from the space.

i have a joke with mates, my next house will have a "movie room", the fact that the movie room also functions as a studio is just a co-incidence. heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search