The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MLV within door systems
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

MLV within door systems

I'm considering using Mass Loaded Vinyl 1) as an added layer to studio doors, and 2) between the door jamb cavities in adjacent, free-standing studio rooms.

All of my rooms were built "room within a room" and the doors are doubled (ie, you open a door into your current room and then a second door into the room you wish to enter). The space between the walls/doors is a just few inches deep.

Thoughts and ideas? Thanks!!

Sheetblok Sound Isolation Barrier - Acoustic sound studio construction products from Auralex Acoustics.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlange View Post
I'm considering using Mass Loaded Vinyl 1) as an added layer to studio doors, and 2) between the door jamb cavities in adjacent, free-standing studio rooms.

All of my rooms were built "room within a room" and the doors are doubled (ie, you open a door into your current room and then a second door into the room you wish to enter). The space between the walls/doors is a just few inches deep.

Thoughts and ideas? Thanks!!

Sheetblok Sound Isolation Barrier - Acoustic sound studio construction products from Auralex Acoustics.
MLV is not the appropriate material in doors. If you want to spend money in that range for material use lead or steel. Check the load capacity of the hinges and the frame. After adding material to increase density, the seals become the next weak link.

Adnre
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Having sealed door frames (edges) will have a much greater (read better) effect on the sound proofing than adding mass.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks so much guys - there already are great door seals, 360* around, so we're good.

Because I have extra MLV, I was thinking about attaching to doors on the sides facing inwards....

However, this may not be worth the effort.

How about between the jambs - if you would, covering the void between the double doors?
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlange View Post
How about between the jambs - if you would, covering the void between the double doors?
??? You will couple the 2 leafs, REDUCING sound isolation.

Andre
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks Andre.

I assumed because the MLV is flexible that it would not couple the two room (like other elastic materials [rubber, etc.]).

I'll stick with fabric between the jamb sets to hide the walls' insides.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search