The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Low budget recording studio
Old 10th September 2011
Here for the gear

Low budget recording studio

Hey guys!
As the title suggests im looking at putting a lowish budget (ill explain later) recording studio together as me and my band have got some great sounds we want to get down on disc. I have done a fair amount of research into what gear we will need. So far we will need: Mics (for the drums and vocals), preamp, interface and (later on) a mac. As for software i was going to go with protools. Now the real question i have is in terms of going about acquiring all these pieces, and how much i should be looking at spending on each one. At the moment i dont have a lot of money to spend on pimping the shed out, (about 3 grand), but im saving roughly 400 every week which can go straight to gear. Im looking for a quality sound, so I am willing to sacrifice money to go that "step up". My real questions are, what should i buy first? Should I save up and buy each piece say once a month and slowly build towards a gear set of much higher quality? Or does it not really matter? As you can probably tell i am in a little over my head here so any advice on particular brands and pieces of gear would also be really helpful
Thanks
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Nut

You need to get your computer, your DAW/interface, some cables, a mic stand, and a mic... Just to capture some sounds.
Work your way up from there.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohn View Post
...a mac. As for software i was going to go with protools.
Instead of ProTools at $532 you might like to considere Reaper which you can get for $60 and is well respected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohn View Post
... (about 3 grand), but im saving roughly 400 every week ...
You didn't say which currency nor which country you are in. Please add your country to your profile.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search