The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recording drums and guitar...quietly Dynamics Plugins
Old 9th September 2011
Here for the gear

Recording drums and guitar...quietly

Hey guys, I've got 2 studio rooms, one specifically for drums, and the other for recording guitar and stuff. Well I've got acoustic foam on both walls in each room, it pretty much deadens the whole room and I'm really pleased with the recording results. The one problem is...neighbors. I'm still learning drums but the whole frickin neighborhood can hear me play so honestly I haven't played them in 3 months because I'm so insecure about it. Same goes for the guitar.

What can I do to make it so they can't hear me, or barely hear me? I was looking at some ClearSonic stuff but it looks like that gets pretty expensive and I can't find any good information for how that translates to recording. I also don't want to tear my house doing something to the walls.

Any ideas?
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Guru

There is no product on the market that you can hang on the wall to isolate the sound. You would need to rebuild the walls (and ceiling) which will get VERY expensive.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

If you will not or cannot add sufficient mass to stop the sound escaping then think about either A or B.

A: how to attenuate the sounds:

- neoprene drum silencers for playing the drums. An electronic kit for recording drums - triggering sampled drums.

- headphones for playing the guitars and an attenuator or an amp and speaker sim so that you can plug in direct for recording.

- and stuff? I don't know how to attenuate the sound of stuff.

B: where can you buy or rent a pair of rooms that are either far enough away from your neighbours or that you can do building work on?
Old 9th September 2011
Here for the gear

What about isolation booths? Clearsonic claims that their drum isolation booths reduce noise by 50%. Any experience with those or something similar?
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprusg View Post
What about isolation booths? Clearsonic claims that their drum isolation booths reduce noise by 50%. Any experience with those or something similar?
Glenn gave you the honest answer. Regarding Clearsonic's claims, 50% reduction is 6 dB. Just about nothing compared to what is needed.

Andre
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search