The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Owens corning basement finishing system?!
Old 9th September 2011
Owens corning basement finishing system?!

Owens Corning™ Basement Finishing System™
Not sure if anyone has done this before....or if this is a good or bad idea...looks interesting for finishing a basement...

Im looking to finish mine now to use as my home studio...about 800sqft... L shaped room....

Has anyone seen this product or used it before to finish and entire basement? Basically looks like ud have entire walls of sound panels...hahaha

Let me know if this is a good or bad option!

Thanks
Old 11th September 2011
Anyone any suggestions on this idea?
Old 12th September 2011
Here for the gear

We use Owens Cronings 703 insulation in our panels and they're awesome. Although I'm not exactly sure what the result of finishing a basement would be like, but I have heard good things and it seems to be the new big thing going into new homes, so I can't think of any negatives. Having panels outside the drywall is always a good idea.
Old 6th November 2011
Lives for gear

OC basement finishing system

Does anybody know which OC insulation product is actually contained inside these wall sections of "basement finishing system"??

Wondering..it must be one of the products from the 700 series...

Anyone have access to this info?
Old 6th November 2011
Lives for gear

OC

Gerry,

I am familiar with the OC Basement system. It suits many people well. It finishes clean an provides sound absorption for the usual basement activities like billiards, video games and other in-home recreation.

There are other alternatives for finished basements that can provide for the unique needs that the individual consumer may have and can often be implemented for less money per square feet.

Furthermore, if you want to use this space for sound monitoring, you could do far better dollar for dollar. There are some good general guidelines in the stickies for DIYers if you just want the basics covered.

I'd be interested to know what your ideal scenario would be for it.
Old 6th November 2011
Lives for gear

John,

Do you happen to know which OC product is inside the Basement Finishing System..is it 703?

I called OC a few days ago, never heard back..I was supposed to recieve an email response..
Old 6th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pchicago View Post
Do you happen to know which OC product is inside the Basement Finishing System..is it 703?
I don't know off hand though it is 2 1/2" and is R-11.
That boils it down to either 703, 704 or 705. The weight suggests to me it is not 705.

[OC actually has about 7-8 different models in the 700 series. 701,711,703,704,705 and facings for most of them- unfaced, ASJ (I think it's perforated?), and FRK which is like kraft paper with a foil on it.]

Again, in addition to having a greater cost per square foot than many alternatives, it would ultimately result in a skewed frequency response compared to the ideals that many of us here strive for. Though a great system for Joe Homeowner who has a both a few kids and a few extra bucks, I wouldn't recommend it as a means to achieve proper acoustics.
Old 6th November 2011
Lives for gear

I have a job in the next few weeks..demolishing a basement and kitchen and the basement is finished with the OC basement system.

I want to salvage the insulation for my studio..just trying to get some info on which 700 product they use for this. Was hoping you knew, or, someone else..thanks
Old 6th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pchicago View Post
I have job in the next few weeks..demolishing a basement and kitchen... want to salvage the insulation for my studio..
Sweet, that stuff isn't cheap. I guess you can weigh it though I can't recall if that PVC framing stuff and cover comes off easily. I'm pretty sure you won't damage it if you're careful.

So, let's see: the total area of your piece let's say a 2'X8' section is 16 square feet. 2.5"=.21' (2.5/12) so the total cubic feet is .21'X16'=3.33 cubic feet.
If it weighs 13lbs. for the 2X8 section then it is 4 pounds per cubic foot= OC704

You may even be able to find the flow resistivity of the panels if you can match it's density. There is a thread around here somewhere with a few figures. 704 is more of a custom product for OC and that info is probably best to get from the company which may not be easy to procure. Still, that would be just for the insulation and not for the product as a whole including the fabric that encompasses it and whatever else is on those things.
Old 7th November 2011
Lives for gear

Hmm, all interesting..When I get to the point where I have it off the backing/fronting, I'll refer to this and re live my math nightmares from high school...yeek. the panels all seem to be 4'x8' or so.

I think it should release from the cloth front fairly easily. OC doesn't seem to want to give up this information..seems kind of silly, really.

Anyone else familiar with this?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search