The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Studio - Untreated | Untested - Session this weekend? Dynamic Microphones
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

New Studio - Untreated | Untested - Session this weekend?

Community,

Im looking for any thoughts on how to best tackle the session I have this weekend. After 2 years the CR and LR are 98% finished and need only doors, glass, and acoustical treatments. Eventually I plan to treat both rooms quite extensivley, but for now I need to get to work. I'll be tracking mostly Male VOX and AC gtr + Mando + Dog House

This is where the space stands as of today

Live Room

Live Room - No treatments or doors (rug only)

Control Room - No treatments other than ceiling wall chunks

Sorry about the orientation, I'm at my day job (for now) and can't fiddle with the orientation.
As a test I tracked some pre-porduction for an album I'll be doing and the bare walls + floors of the live room were so evident that I ended up using a Beta 58 for the VOX and a 57 for the AC gtr and put out some LDC for room mics. Turned out OK, but I'm dieing to use some condensers at the source this weekend.

Question 1: Any thoughts for temp absorbers other than blankets thrown over chairs set up around the artist? Foam mattress pad (can't believe I'm saying this)

Question 2: Another question, does it make sense to even begin testing (REW, ect.) the CR since the doors and window are not in place yet? I'm assuming the readings will change dramatically once the room is finished?

I promise I will get a full photo thread of the buildout up soon, but were talking +/- 200 photos so this may take some time

Thanks to all!
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

My Solutions without construction

Ironing Board on a Stool in the corner (seriously, this reflects and bass traps to a certain degree)

A Stack of Pillows on the opposite corner

If you can buy a few rolls of Fibreglass insulation, put them in a corner.

A couple of Mic stands with something to weigh the bases down (or something heavier duty if you have it) and a winter duvet with thick cover suspended between, along the long wall.

Some balloons taped in 2 top corners.

Add each one and clap for reflections and find something to cover the reflecting zone.

Cheers

Andy
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

Thanks andy!

Good ideas. I have alot of extra pillows and will try to weigh down some mic stands so that I can through a bunch of thick blankets across.

I'm so glad to partially set up and working in the new space, but longing for the acoustical treatments to be up. Hell with the doors and window I need some Rockwoll.

I still have a good bit of the FR701 fabric left so maybe after the next few sessions I can get my first order of 703 from GIK (they seem to be the only local place that has it)

Until then I'm afraid my Liver room is going to end up looking like a girls sleep over with blankets and pillow all over the place.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Guru

I think I am driving right through Dahlonega this weekend (driving up to the Tail of the Dragon heh) too bad I couldn't fit a few things in my car for you.

One other thing you could do is stop at home depot and pick up some fluffy fiberglass. Not sure if the talent is going to like being itchy though. heh
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

Glenn,

Enjoy your time in this hill country! Seriously I need to get some 703 next Friday and I see it on the GIK site. Do you keep it on hand to be picked up locally?

I'll PM next week.

Thanks,
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfield View Post
Glenn,

Enjoy your time in this hill country! Seriously I need to get some 703 next Friday and I see it on the GIK site. Do you keep it on hand to be picked up locally?

I'll PM next week.

Thanks,
Yes we do keep in in stock, but just to make sure give me a day or so before you want to pick it up to make sure.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search