The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Really need to get this right in my room Studio Monitors
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Head

Really need to get this right in my room

Ugh... so tired of this trial and error with no clear idea of how to obtain best position and acoustic setup.

I checked the other posts first and couldn't find a similarly set up room so I will give this a try.

Attached is a diagram of my new room. I tried to set up with my desk so I was facing (desk 1.5 ft away) the East wall. I have 4 2x4 GIK bass traps and 3 2x4 GIK absorption panels. I straddled the corners behind my desk with bass traps with the center of the traps centered with the woofers. Then I placed a horizontal panel behind my computer monitor. The other two bass traps were mounted vertically on the west wall between the closet door and the other door on the west wall. I stopped there with 2 panels left to go because I was getting a big bass area in the middle of the room... basically behind my seating position. I had virtually no bass response where I sat though.. even if I moved closer to the speakers.

So I thought, maybe I could move my desk into the notch area on the north side. My desk is exactly 5ft so it fits right in there and actually looks better and gives me more space. I straddled the corners with bass traps and I then mounted panels to capture first reflections on the east and west walls of the "notch" area. I also hung a bass trap over my head and placed the last in the southeast corner. The last panel was mounted horizontally on the east wall at speaker level.

Now I am getting the bass but it's VERY difficult to detect subtle changes in the levels of my tracks - particularly in the low end but really in all areas of the spectrum.

How do I figure this out once and for all? I want to get myself in the best position and then if I need to, continue to buy more treatment to fine tune the room. I was also thinking that maybe I need to upgrade to cms65s for the bigger woofer... or maybe I just go for the cms sub. Either way - I need to control the room best I can first.

Are there services you can hire where they come i and tell you how to set up?!!

HELP!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Room Diagram.PDF (6.1 KB, 171 views)
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Eklund View Post
1. Learn how to make measurements: REW - Room EQ Wizard Home Page
Don’t do anything without measurements.

2. Find the best position. Usually centered up against a short wall, is the best place to start. Confirm with measurements. If the room is big, you can experiment with a position away from the wall but then usually more than approx. 1,5-2 meters from it (speakers).

3. Identify and treat your modal and SBIR related issues and educate yourself about different bass-absorbing techniques.

4. Treat areas that otherwise creates early reflections.

5. If the room is big enough, add diffusers (but read up on how to use diffusers before going nuts).

Always base your decisions regarding different treatment, on measurements. Avoid thin porous only absorbers (including wall to wall –carpet, drapes etc.) unless a measurement indicates the need for it. There are many informative threads lying around; find them.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsyth View Post
Are there services you can hire where they come i and tell you how to set up?!!
You mention that you have GIK traps. Glenn often mentions how he goes the extra mile to help GIK customers with placement of traps. Why not contact GIK and ask what they are able to help with? I do think it will be advice not a site visit.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
You mention that you have GIK traps. Glenn often mentions how he goes the extra mile to help GIK customers with placement of traps. Why not contact GIK and ask what they are able to help with? I do think it will be advice not a site visit.
Yes please feel free to contact us to give you a hand. It seems as you don't have a ton of treatment but we can try to maximize what you have.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search