The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
using reflectors in control and live room Studio Monitors
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

using reflectors in control and live room

Hi!
I am wondering how you like to use reflectors in your control room for listening and when you are recording instruments and groops.
I am just curios because reflectors are a very simple thing that isn´t discussed much. So i am searching for some ideas and input and would love to hear your thoughts on their uses.
I have been asking myself for example if i could maybe easily reflect some sound in my heavily trapped listening room away from me and into my big qrd on the back and by that give my room some more "room" sound while keeping bass abosrpion.
I am sure it will work but how will it sound? i guess i have to make some blank panels these days and try...
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Guru

Honestly if you are going to go down that road then I would hire a designer to guild you. There are just a lot of factors to go though. If you need a designer let me know and I can direct you to some of the better known people.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
I have been asking myself for example if i could maybe easily reflect some sound in my heavily trapped listening room away from me and into my big qrd on the back and by that give my room some more "room" sound while keeping bass abosrpion.
I am sure it will work but how will it sound?
eigenmodes calculator

(Ignore the title of the thread.)
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Eklund View Post
eigenmodes calculator

(Ignore the title of the thread.)
Nice!!
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

one option may be to hang/mount a number panels to form a "shell" with angles which (re)direct the reflections and that you can tweak. the panels don't need to touch nor do they need to be flat (could be HF 2d diffusers for example). leaving at least 12" of space behind them.
Attached Thumbnails
using reflectors in control and live room-example-panel-room.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: skp example panel room.skp (195.1 KB, 113 views)
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gullfo View Post
one option may be to hang/mount a number panels to form a "shell" with angles which (re)direct the reflections and that you can tweak. the panels don't need to touch nor do they need to be flat (could be HF 2d diffusers for example). leaving at least 12" of space behind them.
regarding a reflector's dimensions, it would need to be large enough to be 'seen' by a 500hz wave, correct? (if generally accepting 500hz to be the lower limit of the specular region (obviously, dependent upon room dimensions)).

so, for 500hz - the reflector would need to be at least 27" in LxW dimensions?
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by localhost127 View Post
regarding a reflector's dimensions, it would need to be large enough to be 'seen' by a 500hz wave, correct? (if generally accepting 500hz to be the lower limit of the specular region (obviously, dependent upon room dimensions)).

so, for 500hz - the reflector would need to be at least 27" in LxW dimensions?
Yes, when the dimension of an object is about one wavelength or smaller, sound will diffract around it and scatter unpredictably (unless modeled using “Reflex” or similar). If a lot smaller that one wavelength, the sound wave will not see the object at all.

EDIT:
This is one reason why the font wall of a proper RFZ-room needs to be constructed as one, without "gaps".

EDIT 2:
Perhaps with the exception if the gaps are so small that they act as a tuned slotted panel, absorbing in the modal region.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

my assumption was you already have as much (too much?) absorption and need to add some HF and upper mid support to the room. diffraction with the panels could occur (so round the edges to reduce the effect, where needed) but behind them you have deep absorption. most of the panels shown are larger than 27" in any direction.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thank you for your comments and for the links to other threads.
The intention in my controll room is exactly this. Bring back some HF reverb.
After reading through your posts i guess it´ll be better for me to cover some of my absorbers with slats making them reflective for HF instead of using reflectors since, if i got you right, they would introduce some new problems around their design freq.

I used a large amount of mineral wool (60cm^2 corner trapps, 30-40cm on side walls and ceiling corner, 20cm cloud) in a room about 8m*5m*2,7m. I did this because it was a very simple approach for a noobe like me and i got the wool at an very good price, so this was really cheap. I´ll post a new thread in a few days with my measurements and some pics.
On the back wall i have a 160*120cm 47slot QRD.
The effect is amazing. I never heard my speakers sound so good before. Most of the modes above 40hz are gone 60db after 350ms, imaging is great for me right now and everything feels tight and accurate (to me).
Now the room sounds dead. Decay above 500hz is around 150ms. I kind of enjoy this dead sound, but talking in there is kind of unconfortable...
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Guru
Great Result

Quote:
The effect is amazing. I never heard my speakers sound so good before. Most of the modes above 40hz are gone 60db after 350ms, imaging is great for me right now and everything feels tight and accurate (to me).
Now the room sounds dead. Decay above 500hz is around 150ms. I kind of enjoy this dead sound, but talking in there is kind of unconfortable...
Sounds like you achieved one form of greatness. May I ask why you want to deconstruct this now?

Notwithstanding my curiousity, and accepting that you do want some HF bloom to enhance your conversations....heh
Slatted Binary Amplitude Gratings will serve you well.
The 543 sequence is simple and effective. Boggy and others have kindly contributed more complex number sequences elsewhere here.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6890286-post6.html
DD
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yes, thanks for sharing this! I guess i´ll give it a go in the near future.
And although i am very impressed what can be done with a huge pile of mineral wool i just started and i know that there is much room for improvement... especially below 50hz...
It is great already compared to before...
Also, along the way, i got addicted to moving stuff and doing measurements. I feel like i need a kick of sinesweep right now. Can´t wait to see that waterfall being tamed some more...
Well, the new thread is coming as soon as i get a camera and as soon as i can decide on what i want to ask you people.
For now i´ll look into the binarys some more and reread some of the threads concerning this.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

but what about live rooms?
We have got here for example a big mirror in a wooden frame (about 200*90cm) that is very heavy.
I like to use it for teaching and practicing, always good to see what you are doing.
I guess it could also be good for sending reflections away from the mics during recording?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search