The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Second floor isolation
Old 7th September 2011
Here for the gear

Second floor isolation

Hey guys
I did a quick search through these forums for isolation but there are a ton of threads and I'm not sure which is the best advice.
I've recently rented a pre built studio on the second floor of a building with a cafe below. Were cool to record drums etc after hours so to speak but would like to expand our time available to record already.
What would be the best way to isolate our room from the cafe?
Would relaying/framing the floor, high stc insulation, floorboard then neoprene then some acoustic underpaying and a new layer of laminate be enough.
I'm wanting to cut like 90% of the sound out basically.
Advice or am I totally screwed.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by willrock View Post
Hey guys
I did a quick search through these forums for isolation but there are a ton of threads and I'm not sure which is the best advice.
I've recently rented a pre built studio on the second floor of a building with a cafe below. Were cool to record drums etc after hours so to speak but would like to expand our time available to record already.
Would relaying/framing the floor, high stc insulation, floorboard then neoprene then some acoustic underpaying and a new layer of laminate be enough.
The latter part of the last sentence is correct. Low frequency isolation is expensive and drums include bass drums. Beyond that is the question of if the current floor can support the weight of an effective isolating floor.

Andre
Old 8th September 2011
Here for the gear

maybe this'll help

Quote:
Originally Posted by willrock View Post
Hey guys
Don't know if you got your advice, but check out my own thread: What is the best Sound Proofing underlayment to put under Hard Wood floor
I also found that the rigorous key to sound proofing is mass. That means, if you could, 10 feet of insulation/gypsum/plywood/underlayment-rubber-treament/plywood,etc..would be great and 99% of the time impossible.
So...depending on your cash flow: keep in mind Quiet Rock products, including Quiet Floor and Quiet Wood, I think it's called, as well as the other products posted in my thread and the installation process they so kindly post as .pdf files on their websites, to narrow down what may be appropriate for your application!

Last edited by skengin; 8th September 2011 at 04:07 AM.. Reason: addnl info

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search