The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
R13 in bass traps/panels? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Head

R13 in bass traps/panels?

I was just given 2 big rolls of R13. I know Owens Corning is preferred for this application, but if it was in their pretty tight would it serve the purpose? It probably wouldn't, but it would be cool if it would so I could feel happy about all the R13 I was just given.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by splendiferous View Post
I was just given 2 big rolls of R13. I know Owens Corning is preferred for this application, but if it was in their pretty tight would it serve the purpose? It probably wouldn't, but it would be cool if it would so I could feel happy about all the R13 I was just given.
It will work quite well actually.

Actually,
Andre
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Head

Sweet! Thanks.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Guru

I can't find it right now but there is a you tube video with a guy that stacked rolls of it in all corners. Looks kind of ghetto but will work.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
I can't find it right now but there is a you tube video with a guy that stacked rolls of it in all corners. Looks kind of ghetto but will work.
So if I just stacked and stuffed it in all 4 corners from floor to ceiling, that would work ok? Then I guess I could build an open front frame to put fabric over, and place in front of it somehow. And then build some 4" panels for the walls and compress the R13 in them pretty tight. Does this sound workable?
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
So if I just stacked and stuffed it in all 4 corners from floor to ceiling, that would work ok? Then I guess I could build an open front frame to put fabric over, and place in front of it somehow. And then build some 4" panels for the walls and compress the R13 in them pretty tight. Does this sound workable?
That would work but I don't think you would need to compress the R13.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

Since the R13 is in rolls, if I can get it stacked in the corners, what should I put in front of it to act as a covering?

Just bought a ton of 2x4s for the bass traps, so should I just build an 8' tall frame to cover the corners?
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Since the R13 is in rolls, if I can get it stacked in the corners, what should I put in front of it to act as a covering?

Just bought a ton of 2x4s for the bass traps, so should I just build an 8' tall frame to cover the corners?

lol wow i asked the very same question on my R-30 post and got like..1 answer after 3 days lol and the one answer i got the guy said he did this exact thing and he said it didnt sound like it accomplished anything as far as bass reduction. but im gonna go ahead and have my freind try anyways and see what happens...worse comes to worse he can just build traps and use all that R-30 in them.. i know 2 things for sure...that stuff DOES absorb bass and #2 dont worry about the plastic wrapping because im sure if you put a plastic bag over your head while in the studio you would still hear pretty much all the bass still which means the bass does go through the plastic lol
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Did you just recommend he put a plastic bag over his head!!!
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwDeOhh View Post
Did you just recommend he put a plastic bag over his head!!!

LOL noooooo....do NOT put a plasic bag over your head! lol

Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

they should perform better if you uncompress them (from the tightly bundled rolls) and build thick, loosely filled traps with an equal air-gap. since you're only concerned about LF absorption.

the benefit to making extremely thick traps (with air-gap) is to get the insulation spaced closer towards 1/4wavelength distances from the boundary - where particle velocity is a maximum. the advantage with pink fluffy is it is much easier to build these massively thick traps, and it will be much cheaper vs using the expensive rigid fiberglass or mineralwool route.

if you just want a quick test, you can stack the compressed rolls in the corner (i'd pull them out slightly so there is an equal width air gap)...or, procure some thick large plastic bags and loosely fill those with the pink fluffy. seal, and then stack in the corner. the plastic can serve as a HF reflector so the corner traps do not soak too much specular energy from the room.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search