The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Amateur studio gear check Dynamic Microphones
Old 6th September 2011
Here for the gear

Amateur studio gear check

I am starting up a studio in my college house to record vocals strictly over rap instrumentals. After much research I am pretty sure I know what i want/need but want to make sure on here before I purchase the following products. I want to make sure that buying these items will work. (1) Shure sm 58 mic hooked up to a (2) tube mp project series preamp hooked up to an early 2008 model macbook pro by way of a (3)xlr cable and a(4) 1/4 to 1/8 xlr adapter plugged into the microphone jack on the computer. I plan on starting on garageband until I can afford a better program. WIll this work?

ps: I also have a mic stand with pop filter in an empty closet with a mattress covering the opening. thanks
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by notredomer10 View Post
I am starting up a studio in my college house to record vocals strictly over rap instrumentals. After much research I am pretty sure I know what i want/need but want to make sure on here before I purchase the following products. I want to make sure that buying these items will work. (1) Shure sm 58 mic hooked up to a (2) tube mp project series preamp hooked up to an early 2008 model macbook pro by way of a (3)xlr cable and a(4) 1/4 to 1/8 xlr adapter plugged into the microphone jack on the computer. I plan on starting on garageband until I can afford a better program. WIll this work?

ps: I also have a mic stand with pop filter in an empty closet with a mattress covering the opening. thanks
i dont think you want to connect the out of a preamp
into the in of a mike input. that should overload and distort.
well...... if its rap maybe you do want taht distortion.

look for a line level input for the preamp outputs to use

if you dont have the gear yet
consider an audio interface that connects the mike to the usb note that it will contain the preamp needed and have drivers to make it all work
Old 8th September 2011
Here for the gear

Hmm so what exactly would I need to buy I was planning on doing something such as method 2 on this website

How To - Connect a Microphone to your Computer Connecting a microphone to your computer for recording purposes
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

"The ¼” Output jack is unbalanced and has an output impedance of 600 Ohms. It can be used to
send signals to an amplifier, processor, line input on a computer, or any unbalanced input. The output
level is 6dB less than the XLR Output and the slightly higher output impedance makes it a better
choice for driving into more sensitive inputs like on an instrument amp. Since it can still put out up to
+20dBu, the Output control should be set at lower levels when driving sensitive equipment"

A "search", is a terrible thing to waste.
Old 8th September 2011
Here for the gear

ok so skipping the xlr and instead buying a preamp that will plug into the computer via usb is a better option? a lot of the audio terms kind of go over my head
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

Straight answer

Vocal distortion is not common in rap, and especially not the kind you'd get plugging that pre-amp into a mic input.

You can bypass the dedicated pre-amp and get an USB or firewire audio interface that includes a pre-amp. Look up options by Presonus and Apogee. Make a pop filter out of wire hanger and panty hose if you need to work on the cheap. If you can wait, get the sm7b. Best vocal mic bang for your buck I know of. I still use it on a lot of my recordings, as do many others with more experience.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

how about a mic with USB connectivity?

saves you a lot of cable / hardware hassle. Don't buy cheap separate preamp just because everybody touts about Avalon 737.

USB Microphones | Sweetwater.com

Shure PG42USB or AT2020USB are good choices, AT for sound quality, Shure for better connectivity etc.

(microphone with USB a microphone and audiointerface fused in same enclosure)

but if you really want a handheld dynamic microphone, Shure Beta 57 is good one, it has quite aggressive sound, cuts trough the mix well.

-Tomi
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by notredomer10 View Post
ok so skipping the xlr and instead buying a preamp that will plug into the computer via usb is a better option? a lot of the audio terms kind of go over my head
you mentioned tube mp project series. I googled it and its specs. thats what it said.

http://www.artproaudio.com/downloads...omtubempps.pdf
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

notredomer10,

I had to run out, I'm back. I was able to read the other posts.

I agree with MRQuincy and esaias..........usb mic, or interface/preamp with mic.
Old 12th September 2011
Here for the gear

ok so looks like my research all went to waste haha. so if i jsut buy the at2020. that is all i will need?
Old 12th September 2011
Here for the gear

also would that mic fit on a standard mic stand
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Your research didn't go to waste..... do you know a few things you didn't know before the research?

Here's something else.

Saw this Art (not the mp)....
ART USB Dual Tube Pre | Sweetwater.com

Yes, usb will work for you. Is it all you will need? Maybe for now. heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search