The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
are there any rooms in the world with perfectly balanced acoustics? Bass Traps
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Guru
Musicians

Quote:
Why is every reply referring to CR's? Wouldn't the authors question be more apt to be in relationship to the actual studio?(you know...the place where the Musicians are
Because musicians have decided to fire the Engineers, Producers, and debatably, the Recording Companies. They have also eliminated the possibility of Hi Fidelity Recordings, possibly forever.

Hmm let's see, what type of room would be most suitable for them....
DD
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
Because musicians have decided to fire the Engineers, Producers, and debatably, the Recording Companies. They have also eliminated the possibility of Hi Fidelity Recordings, possibly forever.

Hmm let's see, what type of room would be most suitable for them....
DD
Haha!
Dan, Have you been doing sessions lately & in a bad mood?... I'm expecting a follow up of musician jokes... with the punch lines having something to do with IQ or being homeless or delivering pizza..
- John
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Guru
Black

Kinda the opposite John, a long day yesterday doing overdubs, Midi editing, and a lead vocal old school, i.e. to be perfect, word by word. Got it done, enjoyed it even, made me realise we never work at this quality level anymore.

I love the democracy of the new way. I love the fact that musos have learned to play with clicks and have their parts organised before coming in to me.
However I can't actually listen to most of the music being produced.
Idiosyncratic styles. Slurred out of tune singing. Overindulgence in everyones ideas with the listener suffering. Sigh.

BTW I am a drummer, not quite a musician but....

And....Did you hear about the Bass Player who locked his keys in the car....?

It took him two hours to get the Drummer out.....

Sorry for the OT, meant to be sadly amusing....
To the OP. The best room/speakers I have heard was Studio B in The Plant, Sausalito, CA. Perfect.

DD
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
However I can't actually listen to most of the music being produced.
I was under the impression that "listening" was the engineers job. So, what ARE you doing when engineering?

Ya know, sometimes I get the feeling here that "engineers" are the star of the show, and musicians are only in the studio for ambiance.heh
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Guru
Stars

I meant the finished product. Nothing impresses me anymore. I kinda like Gaga doing live performances on TV but here records sound thin and 80's.

To be honest I listen very selectively when employed. In the studio it is mostly tone I am concerned with.
I think the (non) buying public seem to agree with me.

Strangely, you will find that most of the acousticians here are also musicians.
Indeed it could be said the whole notion of multitracking was invented by.... a musician, Les Paul.

I believe artistic output benefits from filtering. If the goal is to please the listener. These filters are now gone and so has the quality of the music.
We won't see another Beatles, Michael Jackson, or Little Feat?
DD
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
You are having problems with the jazz example. For the example, use rap and a choir performing Handel.
Can you elaborate ?

why do you mention rap(vocal booth)?

I am not saying that one is better than the other, I love the dry sound (or mix of dry/wet with reverb on some instruments) on Esbjorn Svensson records.

You also have great records on ECM, close miced with lots of reverb added, enginered by Jan Erik Kongshaug.
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Guru
Jazz

The problem with Jazz is.....
No, I had better not....heh
DD
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
The problem with Jazz is.....
It was not rap vs jazz (or did I misunderstand you?), rather a discussion on dry vs "big room" sound for jazz, both work well, depending on the nature of the music.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search