The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Opinions/advice on my Room Frequency Response Studio Headphones
Old 6th September 2011
Here for the gear

Opinions/advice on my Room Frequency Response

Hey, I’m considering buying/making some acoustic treatment for my room.

11ft.length, 9ft, wide, and about 7.4 inches high.

I can put acoustic panels or bass traps anywhere aside from the back two corners and the door is directly in the middle of the room at the back, i have books stacked in the left hand corner on shelves and a window to the right corner which i don't want to block light from.

Epic pic to show where my speakers are located in the room and where i sit, they're exactly the same distance from left to right wall. i sit 4ft. from the front wall.

I plotted a graph to see how bad it is the other day, I used an SPL meter at the exact position my head would be while playing sine waves set to the same volume from C1 – G9, each note shows the Db recorded. I was amazed to figure out why all that time i have been removing 138Hz from my guitar tracks and being told they sound a bit thin on some occasions, i really want that build up to vanish the most.

After seeing how bad some of these readings were used my SPL meter while playing the bad notes and walked around my room and noticed a huge built up in the top front corners of my room, so I know I need bass traps.

With these readings is it possible to work out how many bass traps or panels I should use to balance the room, and will bass traps alone remove these huge spikes/dips.

How much within a Db range am i likly to see this balance out to?

Do these readings look pretty typical of the kind of wave build-up that traps/panels will remove?

I’m considering making some panels but finding the right material seems to be proving fairly difficult, although I may just be lazy and buy some from GIK, but the price is going to rise pretty quickly, so really I just want to try get a clear image of what I want to do, and any advice or opinions anyone might have will be great.

(my speakers work from 49Hz + so below this doesn't really count)

Old 6th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
With these readings is it possible to work out how many bass traps or panels I should use to balance the room, and will bass traps alone remove these huge spikes/dips.
A lot? heh All kidding aside the more corners you trap the better the room will sound.

Quote:
Do these readings look pretty typical of the kind of wave build-up that traps/panels will remove?
Yes all room have nulls and peaks and the only way to tame them is bass traps.

Quote:
I’m considering making some panels but finding the right material seems to be proving fairly difficult, although I may just be lazy and buy some from GIK, but the price is going to rise pretty quickly, so really I just want to try get a clear image of what I want to do, and any advice or opinions anyone might have will be great.
I would have to disagree that it would be LAZY, but if you do plan on buying from us I would recommend filling out the following form to give us as much info as possible. We will then be able to work with you within your set up and budget.
GIK Acoustics: Room Setup
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search