The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DIY Studio Desk
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Nut

DIY Studio Desk

My dad and I build a desk for my studio this weekend. We are really happy with the result and wanted to share some pictures from the construction. It's made it from 3 sheets of MDF and 2 x 4's. I'll add more pictures when I paint it and add the rack rail.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Studio Desk-photo-34-.jpg   DIY Studio Desk-photo-61-.jpg   DIY Studio Desk-photo-60-.jpg   DIY Studio Desk-photo-35-.jpg   DIY Studio Desk-photo-62-.jpg  

DIY Studio Desk-photo-63-.jpg   DIY Studio Desk-photo-36-.jpg   DIY Studio Desk-photo-40-.jpg   DIY Studio Desk-photo-39-.jpg   DIY Studio Desk-photo-37-.jpg  

Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

nice :D
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Very!
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Excellent!
Old 6th September 2011
Here for the gear

I really like that, nice work.

I’ve been thinking for the last few weeks about making a custom desk, my plan in my head was something just like this. if only i had the right tools to cut wood neat enough to make it real, Quite inspiring.
Old 7th September 2011
Daubi,

Very nice desk!! It's go me inspired to build my own.

One point. Your top center board looks like it may need support somehow. When you put a monitor on, it may bow down.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Nut

Thanks for all the positive feedback.

I put the first coat of flat black on it last night and it looks really great. I'll post up some pics after the second coat drys.

rosemeister we were thinking the same thing actually about the top part bowing so we added a 2 x 2 support underneath and then placed a strip of mdf in front of it for aesthetics. The pictures were taken before this was done though but I'll be sure to show it in the next set to give you an idea of how it turned out.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemeister View Post
One point. Your top center board looks like it may need support somehow. When you put a monitor on, it may bow down.

And also on the desk section where you may put your control surface.

(angle iron.... 3/4" underneath going across)

Nice work daubie .
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Nut

Okay I'm jealous!
How much did the project cost in the end?
Care to put step by step instructions?
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Nut

Total cost was about $120 including rack rails ($40)

I also placed a support 2 x 2 under the main section.

I'm trying really hard to get my room finished up but once I do I'll take some measurements and post them up for anyone that's interested.

The Second coat is on. I'll post some pics of the final product shortly!
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

Alright here's the end result. Thanks to everyone for checking it out.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Studio Desk-photo-35-.jpg   DIY Studio Desk-photo-37-.jpg   DIY Studio Desk-photo-40-.jpg   DIY Studio Desk-photo-38-.jpg   DIY Studio Desk-photo-34-.jpg  

Old 9th September 2011
Gear Maniac

daubie, could you post some step by step instructions on how you built that awesome desk? :D
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Maniac
You seriously need step-by-step instructions for what's in the pictures?

There's a wood filler that you can apply to smoothen everything out, but it requires a bit of sanding. Excellent job on the build! It's always nice to make things like this yourself, you get what you actually want in the end.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear
This looks like the sort of thing that I was picturing in my head to build for my own studio. I'd consider though maybe making the gap in the middle between your rack mount, extra rack mount, or perhaps extend the desk back there so I have somewhere to stick a midi controller...

Hmm...some ideas for me to think about.

Question, how many RU is under your bridge, and also in your side racks?
Old 15th December 2016
Here for the gear

Hey do you all have the base measurements for the studio desk? I want to build me a studio desk next week!!! Please send me the measurements for this studio desk you and your dad build please!!!!!
Old 15th December 2016
Here for the gear

Hey do you all have the base measurements for the studio desk? I want to build me a studio desk next week!!! Please send me the measurements for this studio desk you and your dad build please!!!!!
Old 15th December 2016
Here for the gear

Very beautiful work you guys did on that studio desk, I want to build one just like it but I don't where to start at. I know would save a lot of money! Nice work!!!
Old 6th April 2018
Gear Head
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceaddict View Post
You seriously need step-by-step instructions for what's in the pictures?

There's a wood filler that you can apply to smoothen everything out, but it requires a bit of sanding. Excellent job on the build! It's always nice to make things like this yourself, you get what you actually want in the end.
Sorry Dude, not everyone is as "Savy" as you

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search