The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Isolating the mic for vocals? Acoustic Panels
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

Isolating the mic for vocals?

I live in the country, so that with the exception of an occasional train, I am concerned about reflexions more than isolating the vocals from external sounds.

I have been isolating my vocal mike using an auralex maxwall behind the mics. I then read here somewhere that this was backwards...it should be behind the singer, to isolate reflections.

So, I read the threads herein on the SE reflection and the portable vocal book, as well as the site that has the GIK screen panel. The video on the realtraps PVB website is pretty convincing.
I note on EBAY, though, you can buy these cheap contraptions that are basically foamed boxes, the argument apparently being that I want to isolate the mic from all sides except the vocal side, assuming I want a dry sound. Makes sense to me, but I'm not an acoustician. Anyone tried these? Anything wrong with these in theory? Further comments on the aforementioned alternatives welcomed as well.
I also justed noticed some products on ebay called the QM-200 and QM-101.
Thanks.

Last edited by geoffreycollier; 5th September 2011 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: Addition
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

If you want a very dry sound, put the absorptive materials in all sides + bass traps :D
Old 8th September 2011
Here for the gear

Reflections and vocals

You know I've been thinking about this particular subject myself and have done a bit of research.
I've found that for singers, you should NEVER sing in a dry/damped room. It is terrible for the voice. In the debate of dead vs live rooms to sing in, the most accurate answer I've found is: Neither! You want a "tuned" room. That means the appropriate frequencies dampened and the rest left 'live'.
Ideally, download software and use the hardware necessary to conduct a sound colorization test of your room and determine if you need more sound deadening or less and what frequencies.
So, don't sing in a dead room, VERY BAD. Be sure to deaden the frequencies that you have too much, usually bass, and build tonal flexibility into your 'live room' to adjust the tone per your preference.
Hope that helps. BTW, I am NOT a super duper design professional, but I do have experience with signal analysis and I do my best to do a lot of research! heh

Last edited by skengin; 8th September 2011 at 03:47 AM.. Reason: addnl info
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
you should NEVER sing in a dry/damped room.
well you can.. thats why there are vocal rooms. You can adjust the reverb after.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search