The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Room (asymmetrical), mix position/treatment advice (measurements/picture inside) Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 4th September 2011
Here for the gear

New Room (asymmetrical), mix position/treatment advice (measurements/picture inside)

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster.

I just moved into a new 3 bedroom apartment and my finacee was kind enough to give me my own mix room (we'll see how long that lasts). As of now it is completely untreated and there are some (expected) issues across the frequency spectrum (just did some quick listening tests). The room is not symmetrical, and, since acoustic treatment is not my forte, I was hoping for some advice on mix position placement and treatment. I know the basics of finding the first reflection points, but wanted to make sure I'm on the right track. I drew my room with SketchUp (first time using, pretty awesome program, although some things may be a little off) and threw in what I thought the reflection lines would be (minus the ceiling/floor). The room is totally drywall and hard wood floors, but I will be getting a rug soon. I would not be opposed to moving my desk if recommended, it is just where it ended up after the move.

I am looking into buying some Roxul Safe'n'Sound (supposedly the same as Roxul AFB?) and building some absorbers, but am holding off until I have a slightly better sense of what I'm doing.

Thank you in advance for any help, and thanks for all the awesome info I have read through over the years.
Attached Thumbnails
New Room (asymmetrical), mix position/treatment advice (measurements/picture inside)-room-w-reflection-lines.jpg  
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Guru
Symmetry

I wouldn't sweat symmetry. You will be treating both sides reasonably equally for HF. LF boundaries are not always equally hard, so where is the real boundary? Also there is often a distinct lack of bass at room centre. And finally we hear from two locations which are integrated in various ways.
So, don't worry about it.
Create a zone free of HF destructive reflections around the listener. Don't forget the cloud. Treat the back wall as much as you can, and don't worry about the window.

DD
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search