The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
For starters, what's good//bad about this basement? Dynamics Plugins
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

For starters, what's good//bad about this basement?

I have just been given a (newish) basement to record in. It is 50 feet by about 27 feet. The floor is concrete, the wall are insulated top to bottom (rather a fetching pink) with a vapour barrier over, and the ceiling is plywood with duct-work, wiring, etc.. Should I love or hate those basic components?

Thank you.

Old 4th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorboy View Post
I have just been given a (newish) basement to record in. It is 50 feet by about 27 feet. The floor is concrete, the wall are insulated top to bottom (rather a fetching pink) with a vapour barrier over, and the ceiling is plywood with duct-work, wiring, etc.. Should I love or hate those basic components?

Thank you.

You're missing a critical dimension. Ceiling height.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Frank who used to work at GIK once said, "Treat the room you have, not the room you don't."

That sounds like quite a space. What are you planning?
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton View Post
You're missing a critical dimension. Ceiling height.
8 1/2 feet up to the plywood.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Frank who used to work at GIK once said, "Treat the room you have, not the room you don't."

That sounds like quite a space. What are you planning?
To record [mostly] myself, my own compositions, on real acoustic and electric musical instruments. I may have to enlist a ringer or two, and/or do some midification. I don't need to use all that space, but it's there if I want it.
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

I just signed up today and your plans as well as your space are very similar to mine.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

That's great, except neither one of us know what to do with it.

Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

I have ate some more space as well ... I am not doing any serious recording right now so most of the equipment is in the center for aesthetics and comfort ... the sound seems pretty good but I think I'm going to put the monitors closer to the walls because right now there's a little too much distance and the walls are already insulated

Sent from my VM670 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Frank is clearly a very smart man!!
Old 5th September 2011
Razorboy,

I'm Not sure what your budget is, but that space is excellent the way it is with a few modifications.

Keep all of the pink insulation and vapor barrier in the walls. Replacing with Rockwool is not good for the perimeter insulation for trapping heat.

Put some drywall up and mud & tape/paint/area rug etc. Then look into some bass traps and acoustic panels. For what you are recording, having portable panels will greatly help your recordings.

You can build the panels yourself or order from a company like GIK. I like the panel kits from Ready Trap.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thank you.

I should add that amplifiers & speakers will [for mechanical reasons, neighbours, etc.] be pointed in the direction of the wall 50 feet away; that is, sound will be sent lengthwise down the room.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search