The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need help with choices and placement - photos, measurements, and clip included Studio Monitors
Old 4th September 2011
Need help with choices and placement - photos, measurements, and clip included

Here are some photos of my new recording room. I have not dropped the cables in the walls yet, or made the treatment. I am thinking to build some QRDs as well as some larger bass traps. I am looking for any advice as far as placement, etc. I think what makes this room a challenge is the large blank wall behind the drums, the pitched ceiling, the fireplace, and the large window. The dimensions are 14' x 24' with the ceiling going from 10' to 12' at the peak. I am not good with CAD so here are some pics:

The cubby to each side of the fireplace is 4' wide and 8" deep. The window is 6' x 6'. I am not sure if I need to put anything on the ceiling, and if I did where it would go. I know there is a flutter going the length of the room above the fireplace and window. I also made some measurements but they don't make very much sense to me.

Old 4th September 2011
After putting up my old treatment (4x 15" diameter x 3' tube traps, 9x 2" thick framed 703 acoustic panels, 2x 2" thick framed 703 acoustic panel gobos), and messing around with placement for a weekend, I got these measurements:

For the measurements, I used an AT4050 in omni mode, through an RNP (known to be clean), into my echo layla into an old mac. The source is a single Genelec 8040a, about 9' from the mic. The Genelec could be the reason for the rise at 10khz. I made similar measurements with an EV635a and got the same results, so I know it's not the mic.

Just for fun, here is a sound clip of what it sounds like at the moment:

clip

The guitar was recorded before the treatment went up, and everything else was recorded in the room afterwards. There is no eq, reverb, or compression added, except some compression on the vocals. This wasn't meant to be a real recording, just a test of the room.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 19th September 2011

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search