The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
jimmy rig ideas for flutter echoes? Dynamics Plugins
Old 4th September 2011
Here for the gear

jimmy rig ideas for flutter echoes?

I have a pretty severe flutter echo in my project studio, its a rectangle, concrete walls, 16x11x7.5ft. What is the best method for determining which parallel walls are causing the flutters. Shoot would it work to use the mirror trick from the mix position and place like a bookshelf or wood slab for every reflection. Got some auralex foam laying around, but is that good for flutter echoes? Minus the retail diffuser and absorption panels what has worked for yall?
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Maniac

all your parallel walls are most likely causing the flutter echo. And yes, mirror trick works. the foam would help
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear
first reflection points should be absorbant.

best way to avoid flutter is to remove parallel surfaces. all parallel surface will provide flutter. there are numerous ways to add diffusion to walls.

is your space already acoustically treated?

also, don't forget the ceiling floor flutters.
Old 4th September 2011
Here for the gear

Yes my room is treated to an extent I have bass traps in all my corners and acoustic foam for first reflection points. No walls are being teared down this is a temporary spot, so I would like some out of the box solutions for this. I've heard of bookshelves and old curtains, but I was curious to see what else people have come up with.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristanB View Post
Yes my room is treated to an extent I have bass traps in all my corners and acoustic foam for first reflection points. No walls are being teared down this is a temporary spot, so I would like some out of the box solutions for this. I've heard of bookshelves and old curtains, but I was curious to see what else people have come up with.
More ceiling and walls absorption will help....
out of the box or not, it's irrelevant.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristanB View Post

hi, yeah, i didn't mean tear down the walls. i meant put something infront that both absorps and diffuses.....

you could, hang 2" and 4" insualtion from the ceiling and put a curtain in front of it, the tracks that are used with fishing line to hang art work are very usefull. also allow flexibility in moving them along the wall or adjusting height.

you could get book cases and fill them with insulation and books,

you could buy purpose made products like auralex type products

is the wall at the rear treated with diffusion? it should have some form of broadband/bass/diffusion treatments.

ceiling could use space couplers with insulation as clouds, especially over the mix position.

you could build custrom freestanding treatemnts.

what are your limits? can you screw holes in the walls or ceiling?
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

hey gouge thanks for the input. I spent most of day placing foam around certain areas and I believe my flutters are coming from my side walls. The rear of my mixing posistion are two doors to the room. I haven't put treatment on them because really I don't know what to put on a door. But hey with them open the room sounds fine. I have been just nailing stuff to the walls like the foam and a bookshelf. my only problem is being more precise in where I am nailing absorption objects to the wall, I was doing the checkerboard of foam on opposite walls but I don't have enough to cover the whole wall. Should I place foam starting from the line at which my ears would sit or maybe start from the upper part of the wall down.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear
hi, so what are you going for here? do you want to keep the doors shut? if it sounds fine then just leave them open.

if you want them shut then the first surface to treat is the doors themselves. reflections will bounce off them and back to you which could be what you are hearing?

you can treat the doors with acoustic foam. do the majority of door if you can. side walls generally spread out your treatment and keep ading until problem goes away. you can start around the middle height of the wall as that's more mikely around ear level.

if your room is solid concrete then i'd guess you need more bass traps also. wall ceiling connections could have some trapping.

at the end of the day if you want to save money you need to measure the room and see what frequencies are causing you issues.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

gouge, If your ceiling is made out of 1/4" plywood, does that mean you might need less bass trapping?
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Guru
Easy

I reckon Flutter is pretty easy to deal with. It occurs between parallel sound reflective surfaces. This is visible with the eye alone.
Handclaps are a very suitable test. The clapper can move around freely. The body blocks the claps in one direction. This, combined with the visually likely, makes location of the flutter very simple. One might want to be entirely sure before sticking stuff to the walls. Again, easy. Place an absorbent surface in the path of suspect flutter. In fact place it at the possible treatment location.
Use a friend holding a panel of wrapped rigid fibre, or a duvet draped over a horizontal boom arm on a mic stand.
Personally I like to get rid of all flutter. However, it is not all vital. Flutter is very location specific. Play handclaps or clicks over the speakers to trigger the most damaging flutter.

DD
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

dandan, in a liveroom, would you recommend using diffusors on one side of the room or all sides?
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Guru
Balance

Chris, even distribution in a critical listening area for sure. Otherwise there would be very different responses everywhere you go. However, live rooms often have specific areas for specific purposes e.g. a live diffuse drum violin, sax, area, but a very dead vocal area. If the Diffusors are small, I would move them about to hear their effect on the actual recorded sound over time. When you get happy about particular placements, then fix them.
DD
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

oh.. i meant tracking area, not listening area. My purpose is generally for Drums, bass guitar, electric guitar and acoustic guitar :D
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search