The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Workshop thermal insulation: acoustics opportunity?
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Workshop thermal insulation: acoustics opportunity?

The workshop I'm converting into a studio will need to be insulated (it gets cold in the winter over here). The company building the workshop suggested I line the interior with 10cm (4") rockwool and then cover it with wood of desired thickness (or words to that effect). Is this an opportunity to get some free treatment in my room? It would be all around the interior walls and possibly the roof. As it's so uniform, would it have the effect of increasing the dimensions of my room for bass frequencies if the wood panelling covering the insulation wasn't too thick? Thanks in advance.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Maniac

covering it with wood will make it reflective to sound.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by technocolour v2 View Post
Is this an opportunity to get some free treatment in my room?
Absolutely! Read up on pressure base absorbers (perforated or membrane) and if possible, measure your room and trace the most offending modes and tune the construction to these frequencies if possible.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Nicks View Post
covering it with wood will make it reflective to sound.
... above the modal range, yes ... hopefully.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Excellent, I'll do some research into pressure-based absorbers
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

hey jens! If your ceiling is made of thin 1/4" plywood, does it mean that you would need less bass trapping?
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Guru
A Lot

tech, wood panelled rooms can be extremely bright and harsh. The LF absorption is welcome, and pretty much a free lunch. However that vast amount of wood, particularly if varnished or painted, will reflect increasingly towards HF. Unfinished wood is slightly softer sounding. Can you leave gaps in the woodwork? As in gaps between Slats? With a decent fabric layer, this would add some needed HF absorption.
A combination of gapped surfaces facing sealed or slightly perforated LF ones would rebalance your spectrum nicely.
DD
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

dandan, do you think putting a space coupler in front of basstraps made from FRK be a good idea?
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Guru
No Idea

Hi Chris, I have no idea. I have seen data on Space Couplers tested in a Lab. LF absorption was increased dramatically. However these were fibre panels only, no FRK, not SuperChunks. I would go Couplers or FRK, not both.
DD
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
tech, wood panelled rooms can be extremely bright and harsh. The LF absorption is welcome, and pretty much a free lunch. However that vast amount of wood, particularly if varnished or painted, will reflect increasingly towards HF. Unfinished wood is slightly softer sounding. Can you leave gaps in the woodwork? As in gaps between Slats? With a decent fabric layer, this would add some needed HF absorption.
A combination of gapped surfaces facing sealed or slightly perforated LF ones would rebalance your spectrum nicely.
DD
Yeah, gaps are no problem. The rockwool (10cm) would be all around the perimeter of the room so I figure if I play my cards right it could be quite a free lunch. I'm assuming that perforated/slats would be different from a pressure based absorber because with the latter, the housing would be air tight?
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
Hi Chris, I have no idea. I have seen data on Space Couplers tested in a Lab. LF absorption was increased dramatically. However these were fibre panels only, no FRK, not SuperChunks. I would go Couplers or FRK, not both.
DD
Pardon my ignorance, but what are space couplers?
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I see.. :D
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance, but what are space couplers?
these are grates that are believed to increase absorption in low frequency and diffuser higher frequency :D
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Guru
Couplers

Space Couplers have been renamed Auralex Acoustics - WaveCoupler

The world has lots of grey areas between the absolutes.
e.g. Small gaps cause some helmholtz resonance. Sections or whole walls can be easily sealed from the others.
Thus you could actually tune your trapping to some extent.
Take a look at johnlsayers.com and Whealy's calculator.

Consider changing the depth of the wall/trap at the front and back to hit the low primary mode and its octave.

With some research and planning you could have a free lunch followed by cake which you could both have, and eat it too.

DD

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search