The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A simple question - Roxul Dynamics Plugins
Old 3rd September 2011
Here for the gear

A simple question - Roxul

I'm building a studio wall with double studs. So, the walls are essentially 7" thick. Is it better to pack them with 2x 3" Roxul or is it beneficial to only install 3" and leave an air gap.

I honestly don't quite grasp the benefits of an air gap in the wall and I'm inclined to fill both parts of the wall w/ Roxul.

Or should I take an entirely different approach?

For the record, one side of the studs (our neighboring tenant) is just 1/2 drywall applied directly to the studs. We will be finishing our side with gg/3/4" drywall/gg/5/8"drywall.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Wade

wadealin.com
Attached Thumbnails
A simple question - Roxul-single-double.jpg  
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Maniac

fill up both studs with roxul and leave airgap in between the studs
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Head

Wade,

I would recommend putting in 6" of Roxul, You'll still have a bit of air gap.

How are you attaching your first layer of Drywall to the studs? Green Glue doesn't actually GLUE things in place, you realize this right?
You should look into Genie Clips to attach the 1st layer of drywall to the studs... I've personally used this method and have been VERY happy with the results.

If you screw the first layer of drywall directly to the studs there is no point in having green glue between the 1st layer of drywall and the studs.

Green glue between sheets is a great dampener. You use laminating drywall screws to go drywall to drywall to hang the 2nd layer.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search