The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hanging angle of ceiling corner panels. How important is 45° vs 90°? Dynamics Plugins
Old 1st September 2011
Here for the gear

Hanging angle of ceiling corner panels. How important is 45° vs 90°?

I am building bass trap panels today. 4'x'2'x4" using Roxul AFB - i was planning on hanging them on the ceiling at a 45° angle - but as I now attempt to actually build the mount, I realize this is kind of tricky...

So I am wondering - Is the angle really that important? would they be as effective just flat against wall and snug against the ceiling?

I don't want to use straps or anything visible from the front. I guess if it's critical I would use swag hooks and chain.

This is the sketch of all the bass trapping I plan on adding. I am building the panels today.

Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Straddling the corner will give you the most effectiveness for a panel-type bass trap.

Based on your pic, you might want to address the violence issue in the room before worrying about acoustic treatment.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Nut

Angling the absorbers does two things for you:

1. By angling the panels you're actually covering about 40% more surface area, which means it's like having a 40% bigger absorber.

2. The larger the air space between the absorption and a reflective surface like the wall (within reason) the higher your absorption coefficient is going to be. With enough space (8-16") you can actually double your absorption in some lower frequencies.

So in short, angling those panels across the corners makes their effect about 2-4 times greater, meaning you can get the same results while cutting your supplies and labor in half or more.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Nut

Also, I've actually found it much easier to hang angled traps than traps flat against the ceiling. However, this may be because I built mine with wooden sides. If you do have wooden sides you simply run a wire horizontally across the absorber about 20% from the top. Then go to a hardware store and get yourself some hooks or screw loops and screw those into the ceiling. Then just catch the wire in there and tie off the bottom to the wall.

-A little bit hard to explain, let me know if you're confused.
Old 2nd September 2011
RLD
Gear Nut

I hung my ceiling/wall corner traps using hook, nylon ties and a spring.
Works really well. The spring snugs it tight to the walls and the nylon tie lets you adjust how much tension you need.
Attached Thumbnails
Hanging angle of ceiling corner panels. How important is 45° vs 90°?-p1010009.jpg   Hanging angle of ceiling corner panels. How important is 45° vs 90°?-p1010010.jpg  
Old 2nd September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakleaf View Post
Also, I've actually found it much easier to hang angled traps than traps flat against the ceiling. However, this may be because I built mine with wooden sides. If you do have wooden sides you simply run a wire horizontally across the absorber about 20% from the top. Then go to a hardware store and get yourself some hooks or screw loops and screw those into the ceiling. Then just catch the wire in there and tie off the bottom to the wall.

-A little bit hard to explain, let me know if you're confused.
I am using a wooden frame - not the entire thickness, just as a base like this guy did http://www.basstraps.net/DIY-BASS-TRAPS-MADE-EASY.pdf

I was thinking I could use two eye hooks in the corners closest to the ceiling then use about 16" of swag chain from the ceiling to support the middle of the bottom of the frame.

I think your saying if I position a hang wire across the back at the right position, it will naturally hang at 45 degrees? - That's a good idea
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLD View Post
I hung my ceiling/wall corner traps using hook, nylon ties and a spring.
Works really well. The spring snugs it tight to the walls and the nylon tie lets you adjust how much tension you need.
are those with a frame?
Old 2nd September 2011
RLD
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
are those with a frame?
Yes. I built them from the same plans that ArcadeKO linked to in the thread above yours.
That same hanging technique works for the vertical wall to wall corners as well.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLD View Post
Yes. I built them from the same plans that ArcadeKO linked to in the thread above yours.
That same hanging technique works for the vertical wall to wall corners as well.
Your hanging technique wouldn't work without a frame wouldn't it?
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcadeKO View Post
I think your saying if I position a hang wire across the back at the right position, it will naturally hang at 45 degrees? - That's a good idea
Exactly, and if they don't, you can just run an eyehook on the bottom and tie that off to the wall. I also like RLD's spring idea, as the hardest part is getting the horizontal wire tight.
Old 2nd September 2011
Here for the gear

I am about to hang them, I will post a pic - the eyehooks are a PITA to screw in - I better drill some pilot holes this time :p
Old 2nd September 2011
Here for the gear

Cool - that wire worked like a charm.

1 down, about 10 more to go :p
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search