The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
FRK on back of traps - can I get decent results?
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Head

FRK on back of traps - can I get decent results?

Hey all, I had a quick question I was hoping someone could shed some light on. On my first batch of bass traps, I built them without FRK which I understand is advantageous for corners. I know it's recommended to have the FRK on the side facing the room, but since these traps are already built, could I achieve decent results by attaching FRK to the back side facing the wall? *Thanks so much!
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Guru

On the back side? In your PM to me I must have thought you where talking about the front (sorry). I have heard of people doing this but honestly there is no testing I know of that proves one way or another. I can say that I did a studio where they had FRK on the back of the panels and after removing the FRK it seemed to help. You would have to try it and just test the room.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Head

Hmm I see, thanks Glenn. Well as I've already put the money into them I'd like them to function well. If the consensus is that FRK makes a significant impact when put on the front side of the corner traps, I'll pull out all the staples on the upholstering and put the FRK in there. I'll have some extra from the cases of John Manville I just got. Just wish the backside worked as well since it would be so easy to put it on there, but ah well, live and learn!

I still might test it out on the back first though. Just so I know what to look for, does the FRK have an impact on the bass region or is it more above 300hz I should be looking at?
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Guru
Back to Front

FRK on the front of traps is pretty well established as working, although it is not exactly an earth shattering effect at LF. It definitely increases the amount of HF bouncing about though. This can be desireable or you may not like the ping of plasticised aluminium foil. I believe FRK works similarly on the back, my own test illustrates this, but it was not a huge difference. Note the front facing typically places the foil at double the distance from the boundary behind. No wonder it works a bit better.
In all cases, I am assured by someone who knows, that it is necessary to fully bound the FRK to the fibre using for instance, Spray Glue.
OC 703 FRK... to foil or not to foil????
DD

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search