The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New townhouse: Looking to transform blank slate room into good live/vocal room.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Maniac

New townhouse: Looking to transform blank slate room into good live/vocal room.

After years of living in apartments, my wife and I are looking to move into a recently-built, end-unit townhouse in the Baltimore suburbs. The whole place is in great condition, but we were particularly interested in a bonus basement room. It has no windows, one door (leading out into the rest of the basement), standard rectangular construction and wall-to-wall carpeting. It's 10x11. We thought this would be perfect for a live room, as my wife is a professional vocalist and she has just been recording in our bedroom so far.

The big question is... where do we start? We've never had this much freedom with our living space, and I've never designed or constructed any live rooms before, so I don't have a lot of experience. We currently have a few Auralex wall panels that we were temporarily using in our bedroom, as well as a freestanding Clearsonic Sorber baffle. That's it, for now.

Based on what I've read, we would want to...

1. Cut a hole in one of the walls facing the main basement room, then fill that wall with Green Glue. Put heavy glass in the hole so we can see people in the live room from the main basement, which would be the 'control' room so to speak.

2. Tall fiberglass/wood panels on two of the walls.

3. Bass traps in all four corners.

4. Auralex foam... on the ceiling?

I may be way off on some if not all of these, so I'm curious what some of you would do if presented with a totally blank slate room like this!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search